Fair competition?

reluctant

This is from the Esse web site (first one I came to)

"So your aim should be to dry the wood out to below 25% moisture content, this process is called seasoning. As the name implies, you should store your wood for a season or so, while it dries, but there are things you can do to speed up seasoning by cutting the wood now rather than just before you use it."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are based on a farm that we share with a tree surgeon/gardener and stables. Since we set up down there the gardener has tried to order wood cords from our supplier (who refused) and then got them from elsewhere. He has basically copied everything we are doing and is supplying wet unseasoned softwood to his clients. Personally I would punch his lights out :001_rolleyes:, but the other half has got to work down there until we can find an other farm. What would you do?

he probably wont do it for long if he has to copy, cant work it out for himself,

i'd throw the bladder and bowel rejects of a dog over his pile if it were me:lol:

The two biggest stove installers near us are promoting kiln dried and insist on burning below 15% so i think 25% is way off that.

Having said that, they do tend to promote kiln dried and say NO air dried stuff is dry enough. That alone does get my goat a bit as mine is presently 15 or 16%.

stove installers are the worst for giving advice about firewood, afterall i dont give advice on how to install a stove, not my expertice that!!!

'totally normal reaction - there's always a bad feeling when someone threatens your business for whatever reason - we've all been there. What you need to do now is focus on your business. Push yourself in a more productive direction. Like others have said - competition exists in many forms. My initial reaction - probably blow his kneecaps, burn the buildings and disappear his wood. That's probably not going to get you anywhere though. Keep splitting timber and get it sold.

Lol, I like it, nothing like dreaming, don't fancy prison time though.

This is from the Esse web site (first one I came to)

"So your aim should be to dry the wood out to below 25% moisture content, this process is called seasoning. As the name implies, you should store your wood for a season or so, while it dries, but there are things you can do to speed up seasoning by cutting the wood now rather than just before you use it."

That sounds about right, power stations insist on 21% no more, no less. 25% is perfectly good.:thumbup1:

Buy yourself a moisture meter and market your logs as guaranteed less than 20% moisture content it works wonders. If you really want to stir it get yours and your competitors logs independently moisture tested then name and shame in your advertising.

Esse only put the MC advice on the website following numerous complaints about there range cooker tarring up. In my opinion even 25% is to wet for our Esse it really needs to be below 20% to get the quoted performance.

he probably wont do it for long if he has to copy, cant work it out for himself,

i'd throw the bladder and bowel rejects of a dog over his pile if it were me:lol:

stove installers are the worst for giving advice about firewood, afterall i dont give advice on how to install a stove, not my expertice that!!!

Stove installers basically slag off alder/wellingtonia/larch/poplar/pine from my experience

relucant, - ive read all the posts, and i would err on the side of "what goes around comes around " by that i mean, both me and my husband are what id say as "nice" and weve had alot of people step on us, probably cause were too nice and im not hard headed enough to be the mean business person i perhaps should (i make no bones about my christian attitude to people and always want to see the best in people and not the worst) however, when youve had a few knocks and it seems like your getting that too, i would do what weve done in the past, learn from it, move on and improve your business, we still want to see the best in people rather than the worst, but now weve hardended ourselves to be more balanced and not take what people say as gospel - be more cautious - everyone is usually after something, no matter how they say their not.

if this man is moving into logs let him, we have plenty round us, and we usually supply them with wholesale sticks etc for their businesses, find your neiche or improve your service, when people know how genuine and trustworthy and nice you are, they will probably stick with you over someone who probably isnt - dobbing someone in i wouldnt do, it may tarnish you and i would never do it, they will probably get caught in their own time

dont resort to violence, this achieves nothing and causes more problems, turn the other cheek, get on with your buisness and put it all down to experience

and i dont think calling someone ill educated samtheman is very nice, the lady was speaking obviously off the cuff with hot headed remarks to let off steam on a forum

joy

Edited by Joy Yeomans
additional edit

I would just speak to the guy if he is doing tree work he would of started selling logs anyway everyone's doing it getting money for your waste no brainer as for offering your husband work maybe it just did'nt work out. Unless you have a face to face chat you just don't know.