Stihl MS260 for me?

jamesfwpurdy

Hi everyone,

I have recently obtained a couple of acres of mainly hornbeam with some hazel, ash, oak and a few unknowns. We've been looking at chainsaws and I went on a Domestic users chainsaw course at plumpton this weekend. After seeing the ease (or thats how I see it) of maintenace over Husqvarna, Stihls are looking like the best bet. I will only really use it to cut logs from what the power company took down recently, some clearing plus smaller felling. Any ideas or warning on the make/model? The MS260 seems like a good option and within my price range.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had the pleasure to borrow a ms261 from our local dealer for a couple of days.

Ive taking turns with the 260 and 261....

The 261 is a very good saw, bit heavier, bit louder (not that you notice) but big difference in emissions...sticky sensation when working the 260 and not with the 261. According to spec its using 20% less fuel and 50% less emmisions. If this is true then the extracost of the 261 would pay for it self due to less petrol usage within 2 years.:001_huh: and a lot better working environment!

If I was to buy a saw today for thinning, firewood and medium trees I would go for the ms261!:biggrin:

Ive done the worst kind of work for the last couple of days, the new filter is outstanding, no need for cleaning so far...!

Interestingly, the stratified engine arrangement coming into the chainsaw market at the moment has been in cars for a while. For instance, if you see an Audi with the FSI denomination, it stands for Fuel Stratified Engine.

I'm only bringing this up as speaking to a few folk they are worried about reliability of the newer generation saws, but the technology is actually tried and tested, though perhaps not on such a small scale.

we have the older 260 and seems very reliable and a handy size, i would definally buy either a 261 or 346 as my next saw.

not sure about all this better emissions for the environment bit i guess its all good but on a chainsaw..?? are they not one of the most potentially unenvironmently sound things you can get?

carl

I am in a similar position to you jamesfwpurdy. I recently installed a wood burner (3 years ago) and have been collecting and processing my personal use firewood since. I have been using a cheep no-name 15" saw bought new for £78 but its a pain - little power, motor cuts out when hot, chain oiler dodgy.

Am looking to replace it with a decent saw before the VAT goes up - mostly for firewood but also some light tree work helping out friends and neighbours in their gardens (in exchange for the wood).

Would the MS 261 be a good option ? In particular, I am currently dismantling a huge sycamore that has blown down in the garden of a friend and am struggling with a 15" bar. Would the MS 261 run an 18" reasonably ? If so would you recommend buying it with the 18" or getting the stock saw for every day firewood work and buying an additional 18" bar and chain as a backup ?

Sorry for all the questions - but I am still on a steep learning curve and keen to get some tips from the professionals.

Thanks,

FG