Bish's Big Beasty

Mr. Bish

Was very chuffed to get this job down smoothly. Probably about 10 Ton bigger than my biggest before.. It all went very smoothly really and I had a lot of help that day. It was a good day about 2 months ago and I just remembered arbtalk :-) Please don't kill my swolen head with technical critisim. It was a tough tree and I did my best.

Started at 9 ish and finished by 2 ish. Just a bit of cleaning up left for the day after.

crown.jpg.470741fc6a475e1d07e105faa4038253.jpg

Tony1.jpg.b6e7f435fc17867b25128290960fa301.jpg

stump.jpg.ee1e76de2d7474774d608ebcb7764b74.jpg

5976589c8f768_sideview.jpg.bf6bb28da9c7c6f19af4f5f76be90289.jpg

5976589c8cd1b_longview.jpg.0b70d277c66158bf8e8bddcbe430a3f8.jpg

did it have a very heavy lean on it or loads of big limbs on the field side?, i am not looking to be critical:blushing:, i just like to try and read the job by the pics.:biggrin: Going by the monster hinge, the big splinter and the stem lying a bit off scew to the stump i reckon it might of been a bit of a scary fell and sned, but that is a big lump of tree and i bet you had a good buzz when it went thump:thumbup:

did it have a very heavy lean on it or loads of big limbs on the field side?, i am not looking to be critical:blushing:, i just like to try and read the job by the pics.:biggrin: Going by the monster hinge, the big splinter and the stem lying a bit off scew to the stump i reckon it might of been a bit of a scary fell and sned, but that is a big lump of tree and i bet you had a good buzz when it went thump:thumbup:

Yes it was a bit of a scary fell. i had two people with me that wanted to go for a dismantle. the limbs spread about 70 foot including 40% of tree over power lines and a road. the field side had a very slight weight advantage but not enough to make me totally comfortable.

the huge hinge is from me sort of bottling out a fraction early and also not getting the front cut exactly even. tree was tied up to a tractor for assistance and as I was finishing back cut it started lifting a touch. It had lifted to about three quarters of an inch and there was a little bit of popping. So to avoid being at the back with goose risk I left the scene and tractor finished with a nice hard pull. If i had stuck to my guns and taken a few more inches I am sure it would have gone on it's own :-) Like I said it was a tough tree and we just did our best. Thanks for not ripping me to shreds *thumbs up*

One of the people took a vid of the thump... I'll try and get them to upload it or give it to me at least. Apparently it was great but I don't ever seem to hear them when I cut them.... anyone else get that?

Edited by Mr. Bish

Big tree!!!!

Looks like your bottom cut on your hinge went a long way past the other cut, as there is some hinge forward of the rest.

This is one of the best ways to produce a barbers chair!!, especially if you are winching or pulling in some other way.

Good on you for getting it down, as long as you KNOW why it went the way it did then you can learn from it, on big trees dont be scared or embarrased to mark it out first either with spray paint or a smaller saw, give yourself a guide and mark where you are going to cut to etc.:001_smile: Have a plan in your head of what you are going to do and how the tree is going to react, if it doesnt then as long as you havent committed TOO much, have used the right technique and most importantly kept a good hinge then you can stop and re evaluate and maybe change your battle plan a wee bit.

Listen to the tree and feel through the bar how it is cutting, turn the saw off and undo a muff and listen and when she is about to go thump, turn off the saw and enjoy it. well done again:thumbup1: