Help choosing a stove

Sorry if this has been done before but having been overwhelmed with general info on stoves I wondered if you good folks could tell me briefly what stoves you use and the pro's and cons of them.

I hopefully am soon to be moving to a bungalow that (hopefully) will be my last move so I want one that will last forever.:001_smile:

Clearview and Jotul are names that keep popping up so views on these would be helpful though I fear they may be out of my price range

Thanks

Kev

I know how you feel with the stove hunting as I jumped from one decision to the next. All I can say is get a quality fire like clearview, morso, jotul, dunsley, town and country etc. If you really want to enhance the performance get the flue lined and chimney insulated. However I think this reduces the warm chimney breast effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Stoves, one is a Stovax cast Iron and the other a Charnwood Steel (cast iron door) and to me there is no difference between the two. I have been told that cast iron has a longer life but I will probably have to wait for a long time before this becomes apparent.

So is there a difference between either in everyday use?, not that I can find? Hope that helps.

Kev, From personal experience I would stay well away from a clearvew stove. Bought one back in 1997, had it installed by the local approved installer and had great problems with it that winter. The flat top buckled so much that it was possible to see the flames inside the fire when sat watching it. Simon at clearview was one of the most arrogant individuals I have ever come across. He refused to rectify the problem under the warranty. The only solution he offered me was to take the woodburner out, return it to the factory at shropshire, and he would refund my money, only if I signed a document to state that I would never again buy a clearview stove again ( no chance of that happening ) Bought a woodwarm stove in the summer of 1998, and can honestly say it is the best product I have ever owned. When installing it, I would guess it to be 50% heavier than the clearview, and that the whole engineering and quality of build is superb. Recommend without hesitation to anyone.