General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Yeah and don't forget, trees really shouldn't be reduced at all,QUOTE]

Absoloutly thats why if you have to do it, do it the best you can. Give the tree a chance at least.

One of the reasons I do not always aim to make the tree symetrical is because I find it easier and quicker to reduce each major branch by the same amount. Once I have a target of how much I reduce a limb by I follow it throughout, generally doing it the way the tree comes out looking good with a natural shape.

I would call myself an arboculturalist in the sense that when i reduce a tree i sculp it into a nice symetical shape always taking into account longevity of the tree.

Thining out and shaping gives the tree an even ballance and allows light throughout the whole tree thus promoting equal growth.

It also help to avoid overloading any one point of the tree as an unequal weight balance can cause severe damage.

Oh the tree above did have lightning damage on the main trunk so it had to have weight reduction to.

But hey its just one of many methods.

Friend who earlier on in the year sliced his hand open and damaged the tendons asked if i would do a job for him as he didnt think that he would be able to do it as he can climb a bit but still not right so i said yes the helpful fool i am asked him the job basically re pollarding a willow back to previous points only done 2 years ago ,customer wants it done their way .....what he failed to mention before i agreed and got therebwas that they wanted the ivy left intact:cussing:

Photo-0055.jpg.d461194315b24d9a243fcd8898b5b7e9.jpg

Photo-0054.jpg.4941a90d7e212ac6f6e42a8644d3cb0e.jpg

Photo-0052.jpg.45c4ea90c2d922e51f50c0b9d183fa30.jpg

Photo-0044.jpg.3a04d1086d42ce5c95c0aaef8f2efa0f.jpg

I sculp it into a nice symetical shape always taking into account longevity of the tree.

Thining out and shaping gives the tree an even ballance and allows light throughout the whole tree thus promoting equal growth.

It also help to avoid overloading any one point of the tree as an unequal weight balance can cause severe damage.

But light doesn't hit the entire canopy equally.

The centre of gravity isn't always central.

Most trees balance themselves.

Those trees that have a hazardous asymmetrical form rarely need reshaping to that extent.

Do you ever go back to your old sites and see epicormic shoots growing vertically all throughout the canopy?

But light doesn't hit the entire canopy equally.

The centre of gravity isn't always central.

Most trees balance themselves.

Those trees that have a hazardous asymmetrical form rarely need reshaping to that extent.

Do you ever go back to your old sites and see epicormic shoots growing vertically all throughout the canopy?

That is the key, return to the site, look at the results, see your folly.

No light does not reach every part of a tree thats why they grow in odd directions but always towards the source of light.

Thinning out reduces weight taking strain off an old tree also it allows more light into areas where it before could not react which does allow a more even growth.

If you leave a tree to grow out of shape its nature is to follow the light in turn it can lead to a one sided over balenced tree they do not self balance.

When this happens limbs can break away from the tree resulting in infection and inevitabily death.

You cannot stop epicormic growth its the trees naturel defence against losing a limb you can only reduce the growth by leaving growth shoots which allow the tree to flow nutriants to the shoots thus reducing the trees need to sprout new shoots to survive.

I follow this method similar to pruning shrubs always leave buds where possible and slope the cut leading away from the bud so when it rains the water runs away from the bud.

I cut for the benifit of the tree more than the owner they understand this and prefer it around here.

This is just my method many may not agree

LOL ur sarcasism is amusing. But yes a tree works in the same way as a bush or shrub or plant.

The only difference is the tool we use to cut them with.

They all grow towards the light resond to pruning with epicormic growth i assume you know all this being a tree surgeon.

You can always tell what direction a tree has had the most light as the rings on the trunk are thicker the side which sustained the most light im sure you know this just pointing it out.

Trees were here long before the chainsaw dont you know that.