General Tree pics

Andy Collins

No more pics, sorry, cross section fell apart, had large open crack all way through with thick mushroom-esque growth in centre, from ground up. Someone from council went to assess it, with it being tpo'd and gave it a five day felling order because of the public footpath or summat??? I just got a call on sunday night asking if I could do it monday morning as crane was booked. I just went and chopped it down, is all I know.:001_smile:

you dont have to explain yourself to anyone frank you tree butchering maniac ha ha

You were subbed in Frank we know that, what I am trying to find out is the justification of using a crane ?

There appears to be plenty of room and grassed area below the tree as a landing area. I just feel that when a company gets to know a local crane firm they tend to go down that, add the crane hire on and use a crane route.

Dont get me wrong mate, having a mewp sat there at my disposal FOC I could quite easily go down the using the mewp all the time route, but I understand that it will make me lazy so I dont use it unless I really have to.

Craning a tree out when you dont really have to seems barmy and the easy option to me. I would like to have seen the tree and priced it on a standard TD and then priced it on a Craned TD.

I just feel it is uneccessary cost to the customer.

You were subbed in Frank we know that, what I am trying to find out is the justification of using a crane ?

There appears to be plenty of room and grassed area below the tree as a landing area. I just feel that when a company gets to know a local crane firm they tend to go down that, add the crane hire on and use a crane route.

Dont get me wrong mate, having a mewp sat there at my disposal FOC I could quite easily go down the using the mewp all the time route, but I understand that it will make me lazy so I dont use it unless I really have to.

Craning a tree out when you dont really have to seems barmy and the easy option to me. I would like to have seen the tree and priced it on a standard TD and then priced it on a Craned TD.

I just feel it is uneccessary cost to the customer.

cutting and lifting big saves so much time and inconvenience, sawdust etc. i have always thought if i saved up ALL my jobs and only worked 2 days a month with a crane and big wagon it would be so much easier, then spend the rest of the time up the yard sorting and processing the arisings.

it is diferent now that i take the chipper to the tree, and that is fine for small garden jobs but for big takedowns in a back garden and labour and good staff so hard to get when you cant guarantee them any full time work these days, it would be a winner. thats how i see the americans do it, one guy with a crane truck with body on it, another with a big chipper and a wee loader and a couple of guys, the speed they get jobs done in such a relaxed manner is amazing, look at reg's job, there is no doubt he could of ot it down with out a crane, but look at the time it would of taken and all the mess to tidy all over the place.

No more pics, sorry, cross section fell apart, had large open crack all way through with thick mushroom-esque growth in centre, from ground up. Someone from council went to assess it, with it being tpo'd and gave it a five day felling order because of the public footpath or summat??? I just got a call on sunday night asking if I could do it monday morning as crane was booked. I just went and chopped it down, is all I know.:001_smile:

Thanks for that Darren.

How far up the trunk did the decay extend?

How far up the trunk did the radial crack extend?

Would you say that the remaining circumfrencial functioning wood across the cross section was typical of the amount in your last shot?

Is that the cross section of a fruiting body in between the butresses?

Just playing with ya, feel free to tell me to go and pester someone else :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

cutting and lifting big saves so much time and inconvenience, sawdust etc. ...........................but look at the time it would of taken and all the mess to tidy all over the place.

Stevie, if we all started using cranes and humogous whole tree chippers, doing the TD in ten minutes flat with very little work involved we would run out of trees to take down in a few years time, I'd rather take a one big tree down nice and steady over 2 days than take 4 big trees down using a crane in two days.

Do you see my point?

Its not all about speed, it's about conserving future work aswell, yes, use a crane where it is warranted and awkward but not unneccessarily