General Tree pics

Andy Collins

an old one.

The fact that it was an old one suggests that the tree was managing just fine.

Who suddenly came up with the notion that the tree was a danger after 200+ years?

Correct me if I’m wrong but all I see what was a beautiful and vigorous tree in a field.

Now it’s been mutilated, literally. If you’re trying to induce decay (root or limb), produce masses of re-growth for whatever reason then fine, but to do that and suggest its for the benefit of the tree does seem a little mis-guided. You were a lot closer to the mark when working to the rule of thirds Rowan, it’s a shame your boss sees things otherwise.

Pardon me if there's more to the methodology on this occasion, perhaps you could explain.

Why ruin such a nice tree? That is just wack, yo.

You're NOT SUPPOSED to do that to trees, don't ya'll know?

British "arborculture" is sure different that American. I wonder who's doing the right thing?

I like to think that the majority of us Brit-Arbs, are Shigo'd and Matheck'd up to the eyeballs.

Having recently decided to take on board, via your fine forums, where you, our Yankee (sic) brothers are with Arb in general, I am very encouraged and touched with awe in what I am reading, (science wise) except my perceived understanding of your lack of retention of retainable Trees. The Chainsaw is nearly as mighty as the Firearm stateside. But thats a different thread.

Fair or not?

So with the very real knowledge of how too few Veteran trees are left in mainland europe, I hope we fully understand our need to preserve and equally importantly identify, the replacement/future vets.

This is essential for the British Landscape, whether or not we are in the midst of a shift in indigenous species adapting to Climate change, or not.

We do not know (species wise) where, replanting to replace the forsaken, will truly leave us or more importantly, leave our children.

As such MB, do you really not see the relevance in retaining such a fine landscape feature, all be it with such radical surgery.

IMO, this tree appears vital enough, especially as it's a cerris, to take this heavy reduction and survive the loss of such high percentage of canopy.

My moneys on the tree now, to take to it's enforced retrenchment and continue to survive for long years as opposed to the obvious failure that this work has mitigated against.

Tree is saved :icon14:

you win the prize rco, yes my boss is a greedy bar steward and if it was down to me i'd have left the tree well alone to age naturally and if it split in two then so be it, my boss (who's number will be retained for personal reasons) tends to recommend 1/3 reductions all to often and has recently said that to be as vague as possible helps with the LPA permission. I often turn the 1/3 reductions into 15% for at the end of the day I do have morals.

At least the photos gave us something to chew on instead of this takedown and that one.

By the way I learned my trade in oz, which shares the same view as the U.S. in that 'You shouldn't top trees' and every time I see reduce by 1/3 on the sheet I wish I was still there.

I like to think that the majority of us Brit-Arbs, are Shigo'd and Matheck'd up to the eyeballs.

Having recently decided to take on board, via your fine forums, where you, our Yankee (sic) brothers are with Arb in general, I am very encouraged and touched with awe in what I am reading, (science wise) except my perceived understanding of your lack of retention of retainable Trees. The Chainsaw is nearly as mighty as the Firearm stateside. But thats a different thread.

Fair or not?

So with the very real knowledge of how too few Veteran trees are left in mainland europe, I hope we fully understand our need to preserve and equally importantly identify, the replacement/future vets.

This is essential for the British Landscape, whether or not we are in the midst of a shift in indigenous species adapting to Climate change, or not.

We do not know (species wise) where, replanting to replace the forsaken, will truly leave us or more importantly, leave our children.

As such MB, do you really not see the relevance in retaining such a fine landscape feature, all be it with such radical surgery.

IMO, this tree appears vital enough, especially as it's a cerris, to take this heavy reduction and survive the loss of such high percentage of canopy.

My moneys on the tree now, to take to it's enforced retrenchment and continue to survive for long years as opposed to the obvious failure that this work has mitigated against.

Tree is saved :icon14:

Crikey mate, do you really need all those words to make your point?

The tree did NOT NEED to be "saved."

Well, my rule of thumb is generally up-to 1/3 or more specifically, 30% thin/reduce….and that doesn’t mean make the whole tree 30% smaller either, I’m specifically talking about the foliage-mass area.

If we can work within these boundaries and pull the tree into a smaller shape at the same time then great, but unless a tree has undergone a recent structure-theatening trauma, dramatic changes to its surrounding environment or is either dying or critically diseased etc, then its minimum intervention really. After all, many of the trees around here have lived for hundreds of years, evolving and adapting to and within their environment. Who am I to make a judgement that a healthy tree can’t sustain itself? after all, most of us tree workers around here have only been alive (let alone working) for a fraction of the trees age....so what could such a judgement be based on?

I’d call that oak a 70% reduction, as most of the foliage appears to have been removed. The most optimistic thing I can say about it is that it’ll live.

Are you Australian Rowan?

Well done Rowan, very brave to post your piccies on here.

Sometimes hands are tied and as you say, money is the motivator.

Last year I was asked to cut up a fallen oak on the edge of some woodland. I noticed some of the root plate still intact in the soil so asked if I could leave the trunk and explained my reasoning.

It is now flourishing with new growth. Yes it may to some look untidy, but in my veiw it's a new lease of life and creates a small habitat.

The problem half the time is people have to live and pay a mortgage, sometimes the tree comes second to that.

Fair play to you for your post though.