General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Well, stick it in a rear garden of macclesfield and what would you say then? Are you suggesting that all of our proffesional efforts are in fact unrequired and all we are doing is merrily ripping off little old ladies? Is structured tree management not required? Is all you do felling or storm damage clear up?

Settle down old mate, no need to riled. I was just trying to give a sense of scale in regards to time, evolution and survival. I know my place in it all which in the grand scale of things it doesn't really amount to much. Keyboard - what did you call me? Lil old ladies, did I say that!

Re: your comments about me doing only storm damage and clean up etc, well on the contrary I’ve pruned literally thousands of trees....a broad range of species, ages and sizes both here and abroad….many of which I’ve been back to on a number of occasions over the years to prune again. The most optimistic and positive thing I can say about them is that, for the best part, they were able to tolerate the wounding that I inflicted, because ultimately that is what it is, wounding!

Personally, I'd rather see a tree grow old and die in its natural form rather than see it butchered and then hanging on to life in a somewhat prolonged, retarded and decrepit state.

From the redwoods to the kauris, eucs, figs etc, many of the oldest and largest trees in the world exist because they have been protected from people, not the other way around....you're forbidden to even walk over the root-systems of many of these beauties, let alone touch them....they are regarded as truly sacred, that kind of philosophy is the most commendable and sincere IMO. Too idealistic you say? well, the particular tree's I’ve highlighted are just a few examples of can be achieved....2500 years is hard to argue against, well if you consider our individual time served Arborists as any kind of argument at all!

I can't really apologize if my views don’t sit comfortably with some folks, you surely can’t expect me to follow someone else’s lead if I don’t agree with it.

I do agree that some form of pro-active tree management is necessary where trees and people must co-exist, I certainly don’t like to hear about people getting hurt or killed in the wrong place at the wrong time etc, not by a long shot. I just thought that particular example of what Rowan was instructed to do was a poor decision, all things considered. To do something truly wonderful and pro-active in every sense would surely be to strategically plant more trees, and try not to interfere too much with things that existed and survived long before we were around....and will most probably continue to do so when we're gone.

Other than some unfortunate bad feeling, a most refreshing topic, happy to have a say in it FWiW:thumbup1: