Manual log splitters

scbk

Has anyone ever tried a manual log splitter like the Clarke Logbuster 4?

Clarke Log Buster 4 Manual Hydraulic Log Splitter - Machine Mart

Looks like a large bottle jack mounted within a frame, with a "fast" and "slow" handle

Obivously not gonna be as fast as a maul on striaght wood but I was wondering if it would be any use on knotty stuff? Or so my parents can split wood for themselves?

My Dad's got one, and potters about in his shed splitting gnarly stuff (he's 75).

Powerful, but way too slow to consider commercially. Chucking a stop log in beside the ram allows small logs to be split, although the instructrions forbid this....:sneaky2:

Better putting the money towards a cheap electric one IMO. They start at around £200.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw one on ebay and bought it, got it for £70

The major design flaw seems to be the length of the bed/ram

Useful for splitting the big rings in half sideways, so you can get at them with a maul a lot quicker

Also if you have planks to be made into kindlers (for your own use) you can stack 5 or 6 up and split them in one go without risking any fingers