Yep! Rope twist!

tockmal

May be a stupid question Sorenson but what is HAVS?

I said most coronets look like potatoe mashers I actually meant a meat tenderiser. And thinking about it doing it that way especially with a big saw must be hard work.

On some "natural fracture" jobs i've been on we've roped the top of the stem then just put 1 or 2 cuts about half way in from the back, then winched the top out creating a huge tear (well thats the idea does'nt always work).

Its not something i've seen done often, its just one idea and can work well, obviously its something that has to be done carefully!!

Usually the single cut and resulting tear is enough to give a satisfactory result.

As for makng it look like a meat tenderiser, I personally don't think it looks good and its awkward to do comfortably.

I'm no expert, and only have a few years experience in tree work, i'm not trying to pretend I know everything I don't and never will. Just expressing my opinions in the hope of learning more.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, like the big man said - Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome. Its bad news and made worse by cutting with the grain a with a top-handle.

Like most unavoidable hazards the risks can be reduced by implementing appropriate control measures. Like rotating operatives or using bigger saws.

When I used to work at the National Trust, we used to winch the tops out of beech trees. Problem was predicting where the failure point would be! Sometimes half the tree would come out or sometimes the tractor winch would stall!

The key I think is not necessarily the cut itself but the act of retaining or creating aerial deadwood, which supports a distinct range of organisms.

Making it look pretty is just a good way of selling it.

Ah yes HAVS, not good, I was begining to get early sypmtoms last year of tendonitis. I did'nt ignore it though and looked at the way I was working to try and improve the problem.

Since then my arm has got a lot better, and now I hardly notice any pain in my elbow.

Its just my back now, doing yoga and looking at the way I lift and work is improving that. One important change is balancing out the way I move, simple things like say draging brush, one trip i'll drag with my right, next with my left. Same with carrying logs one trip on my right shoulder next on my left. And when climbing again don't try to favour one side.

Like most unavoidable hazards the risks can be reduced by implementing appropriate control measures. Like rotating operatives or using bigger saws.

I agree with the bigger saw idea, I've heard of a number of local authorities who have removed their bigger saws(088s and 660s) from use by their workers for fear of the workers developing HAVS or white finger.

The problem with this idea is that the chainsaw operator just ends up using a smaller saw for longer, thereby increasing their risk of developing HAVS.

IMHO the worst for HAVS has to be Hedgecutters.

A fortnight ago, I met the guy who brought us the coronet cut. Roy Finch.

Define atrocious...

Great bloke is Roy. good mate of my Father. He also used large winches to tear limbs off, aswell as the explosives. The winch tearing idea was to imitate wind / storm damage.

I agree with the bigger saw idea, I've heard of a number of local authorities who have removed their bigger saws(088s and 660s) from use by their workers for fear of the workers developing HAVS or white finger.

The problem with this idea is that the chainsaw operator just ends up using a smaller saw for longer, thereby increasing their risk of developing HAVS.

I read somewhere, (can't remember where) That Blowers are the worst for HAV's its all to do with the vibration frequency. Also Herad of one county council banning their lads from sharpening chains, they are just replaced with new when blunt. as Vibration levels can't be easily measured as everyone sharpens differently!

Not sayingg I agree with any of it but it all made interesting reading!

removing big saws is ridiculous i work for a local authority and we had to have our saws checked but were confused by results so re did them using a brand new 357 with different chain sharpens or tightness the results were scary ranging from 2.5hrs down to 14 mins use as dor hedge trimmers go and buy a new sthil one vibrates less than a saw:BoomSmilie_anim: