Climber V groundie pay ratio????

skyhuck

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joking aside, if the lead groundie is the team leader, in charge of the rigging, and directing the ground side of the operation, then he should be on the same money as a climber. If he is literally just dragging rakng and chipping then I agree that the money should be less than the climber. A groundies job is to ensure that everything runs smoothly, the climbers job is to concentrate on all the aerial aspects of the job, he should not have to worry that pedestrians arent wandering into the dz, that the ropes arent tangled, that brash needs chipping and the saws need sorting.

Huck the diference is we are the Lead climbers, gaffers, managing directors all rolled into one. We manage the site, the staff , the customers and the whole shooting match. You knows what you are worth, but if you wanted to take a week off and still do the jobs you would probably need to get half a dozen guys in to replace your self and at the end of the week there would be no profit left, i know thats what hapened when i tried it. We know what we get paid and what we are worth but that isnt what a lead climber is worth to a bigger company.

Can you charge as much for a tree that can be straight felled, as one that needs dismantling??:sneaky2:

Come on, you know all trees are different, if it can be straight felled I wouldnt be paying a climber, but there can be just as much work sorting a large felled tree, as rigging out a large dismantle. The equipment to handle a large fell can be more expensive to operate/hire/buy, so on occasion it can be dearer to fell than dismantle, where the timber tends to be more manageable.

i personally think that it is not possible to equate wages to a role , its more important to set a wage to a man's skill , the guys that work for me are top chaps that do not feel they have a set role, our outlook is that if you can see a job that needs doing then get on with it there is certainly no them and us betwne climbers and groundies .

Hi thats geat starting a new post for this one .

I think it depends on the groundy. a cracking groundy could in my view be equal payed to the climber as they both have different but the roles and set of skills are as just important as each other in the running operatioj.

but on the other hand one usually starts as a groundy then over time progresses to climbing so if new into the industry as most start off as a groundy then you would expect to be paid less then someone that has been doing it for a long time so pay can be reflected in experence as well as job roles

A excellent groundy that has been doing it for years could get paid more then a new climber .

The climber does have the added personal danger with using the chainsaw in the tree so this may be reflected in pay.

There does seem to be many views on this but I think if you are a self employed climber hiring a groundy then of course you want to make more money then your groundy as you are running a business so you would pay them less then yourself

Littltree:thumbup:

Come on, you know all trees are different, if it can be straight felled I wouldnt be paying a climber, but there can be just as much work sorting a large felled tree, as rigging out a large dismantle. The equipment to handle a large fell can be more expensive to operate/hire/buy, so on occasion it can be dearer to fell than dismantle, where the timber tends to be more manageable.

The point I was making is a climber can do a groundies job, but a groundie can not do a climbers job.

Is a more skilled guy not worth more??

The point I was making is a climber can do a groundies job, but a groundie can not do a climbers job.

Is a more skilled guy not worth more??

Could it be argued though that a groundies job is the more physically demanding job, and that there should be some accommodation made for the graft involved in it?

Either way, forestry trumps being a groundie or climber! :001_tt2:

.....I'll get my felling lever and go... :001_rolleyes::lol: