Health&performance

Yeti

Cheers for offering up your knowledge to us all.

About 4 years ago I had a mishap whilst using an axe, the upshot was that I smacked my knee with the sharp end damaging my kneecap pretty badly. After the stitches came out and strapping came off I found i'd lost all the muscle on my thigh - no matter what i've done since I haven't been able to put it back on again. My knee feels constantly tight, and occasionally flares up becoming hot and swollen, clunks like you wouldn't believe too. Whenever i've seen physio they just give me elastic band type exercises that don't sem to help. I have a tendancy to protect it at work because it's weak, guess this probably isn't helping.

Ice area before bed every night bud.10mins a time 3rotations of most tender areas.

Try bodyweight squats for now,work up to a good hard 60 repetitions.When you can do that start to hold some light dumbells by you side and do 3sets if ten repetitions twice a day.

Take a glucosamine sulphate suppliments twice daily aswell.

Deep tissue massage via a reputable sports physio should help break don any scar tissue in area.

Another good fom of rehab is cycling,also try popping some logs in a back pack and find a relativly steep hill walk up that in very deliberate and deep strides do that for 5round trips 2 times a week.If chose cycling don't exced 25 mins at a moderate pace 3times weekly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo combined tree services.good numbers so far.

Little background info please,how tall are you and bodytype eg muscular, skinny,lanky or stumpy limbs?

General advice for now tho.keep to the 5x5 but have set 4 and 5 as a heavy double or once every two weeks a really heavy single rep.

Form tip:s,drive legs into floor keeping butt on bench arch your back fill your chest up with air creating a barrel chest and stomach shape,draw shoulders back firmly contracting the lats,push upper back firmly into bench.Keep elbows slightly tucked and use lats as elastic bands(or try I

try imagine they are) keep elbows completly in line with wrists dot let them roll back,have arms shoulder width apart and squeeze that bar for all it's worth.

Break and begin the descent of rep via the shoulders and chest then elbows unlock just as bar touches upper stomach/nipple line.Exhale as force legs into floor,push back against bench hard and focus on using body as whole.

Focus on heavy floor presses,weighted dips and heavy close grip benches to get more tricep power.

Anymore help just ask

Cheers for offering up your knowledge to us all.

About 4 years ago I had a mishap whilst using an axe, the upshot was that I smacked my knee with the sharp end damaging my kneecap pretty badly. After the stitches came out and strapping came off I found i'd lost all the muscle on my thigh - no matter what i've done since I haven't been able to put it back on again. My knee feels constantly tight, and occasionally flares up becoming hot and swollen, clunks like you wouldn't believe too. Whenever i've seen physio they just give me elastic band type exercises that don't sem to help. I have a tendancy to protect it at work because it's weak, guess this probably isn't helping.

Any ideas how to get it back in shape?

Mate i would also consider getting an mri scan on that knee(if you haven't already), hot/swollen flare ups and clunking might point to a deeper issue within the knee and may be a reason why you're constantly protecting that leg, hopefully it is just weakness/tracking problems but I reckon it's worth covering all your options.

I should probably mention that whilst injured out of tree work I retrained as a sports therapist and have seen my share of knee issues(amongst other injuries).

I am also more than happy to help anyone where possible if Yeti has no objections, it is your thread mate after all:thumbup1:

Yo combined tree services.good numbers so far.

Little background info please,how tall are you and bodytype eg muscular, skinny,lanky or stumpy limbs?

General advice for now tho.keep to the 5x5 but have set 4 and 5 as a heavy double or once every two weeks a really heavy single rep.

Form tip:s,drive legs into floor keeping butt on bench arch your back fill your chest up with air creating a barrel chest and stomach shape,draw shoulders back firmly contracting the lats,push upper back firmly into bench.Keep elbows slightly tucked and use lats as elastic bands(or try I

try imagine they are) keep elbows completly in line with wrists dot let them roll back,have arms shoulder width apart and squeeze that bar for all it's worth.

Break and begin the descent of rep via the shoulders and chest then elbows unlock just as bar touches upper stomach/nipple line.Exhale as force legs into floor,push back against bench hard and focus on using body as whole.

Focus on heavy floor presses,weighted dips and heavy close grip benches to get more tricep power.

Anymore help just ask

wicked thanks for the advice , a little more background , im 6"2 tall , 203kg, and built like the average prop forward . in all fairnes i have only been training for about 7 months but still feel i could do much muh better , also i do find that eating well is not to easy in this line of work , i really do need to sort out a better diet/ food planner

Wow for such little amount training your a beast man,keep at it you obviously have a natural ability.

It's so hard in this industry to find times for meals,I would go get the most protein laden weight gain shake you can find bud and mix that up and take a flask of it out everywhere with you and chug it throught the day.

I also highly recomend gasparis size on.it's a creatine formula,really aids recovery which in this game is what we suffer from most lack of recovery.

Benching at over six foot tall is a bugger,I'd focus on the rep scheme I layer out and the supplimental exercises for triceps and use same rep scheme.

Stick to that and blast it for 6 weeks then take two weeks completly off and eat anything that isn't nailed down,then go right back to it.

Nutritional tip for you try and take it at least 2grM of protein per pound of bodyweight,and at least 2.5 grams of carbs.

Quick choices are tinned tuna eat it on the go,flapjack bars.

Also try oatmal and egg White pancakes and fry them up n pan using olive oil.

I use a scoop of oats,with 6 egg whites.

Absolutly cover them in natural honey,it's the breakfast of champions dude :)

and pop them n Tupperware box and take them out with you as thete great cold too

Wow for such little amount training your a beast man,keep at it you obviously have a natural ability.

It's so hard in this industry to find times for meals,I would go get the most protein laden weight gain shake you can find bud and mix that up and take a flask of it out everywhere with you and chug it throught the day.

I also highly recomend gasparis size on.it's a creatine formula,really aids recovery which in this game is what we suffer from most lack of recovery.

Benching at over six foot tall is a bugger,I'd focus on the rep scheme I layer out and the supplimental exercises for triceps and use same rep scheme.

Stick to that and blast it for 6 weeks then take two weeks completly off and eat anything that isn't nailed down,then go right back to it.

Nutritional tip for you try and take it at least 2grM of protein per pound of bodyweight,and at least 2.5 grams of carbs.

Quick choices are tinned tuna eat it on the go,flapjack bars.

Also try oatmal and egg White pancakes and fry them up n pan using olive oil.

I use a scoop of oats,with 6 egg whites.

Absolutly cover them in natural honey,it's the breakfast of champions dude :)

and pop them n Tupperware box and take them out with you as thete great cold too

Thanks Yeti, it realy appreciate your advice and will keep you posted on how i get on , asd for enching at ver six foot i totally agree it is a bit awkward , i think using a wide arm stance is part of the problem but several guys that also train seem to think its the best way to get stacked pecs :confused1:

wide grip is best way to shoulder tears and injuries.also puts alot of undue stress on pec attachments.Best way for pes activation is the high and full chest method you can do them without weight and literally feel the pecs swell and stretch.

I built my 59inch chest with good heavy flat benching and incline benches.

Even try slightly closer grip than shoulders.it does hit triceps harder but I really feel it in the inner most portion of pecs.

Hardest part of bnching when tall is trying to keep front felts and triceps out the movement,this will build big pecs but is poor for strength gain.

Really nail the bent over barbell rows and one arm dumbell rows too bud a strong thick upper back can dramaticlly bump up your bench.

Keep me posted dude be good to see you progress.

and no worrys Stephen anytime bud :)

hope my friend request was accepted correctly(good at heavy weights but rubbish with technogy haha) who woulda guessed

Ice area before bed every night bud.10mins a time 3rotations of most tender areas.

Try bodyweight squats for now,work up to a good hard 60 repetitions.When you can do that start to hold some light dumbells by you side and do 3sets if ten repetitions twice a day.

Take a glucosamine sulphate suppliments twice daily aswell.

Deep tissue massage via a reputable sports physio should help break don any scar tissue in area.

Another good fom of rehab is cycling,also try popping some logs in a back pack and find a relativly steep hill walk up that in very deliberate and deep strides do that for 5round trips 2 times a week.If chose cycling don't exced 25 mins at a moderate pace 3times weekly.

Nice one Yeti :thumbup: