Chainsaw Fuel Tax

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

I am starting a campaign to reduce the "Fuel Tax" on "Green" fuels used in chainsaws to that of Agricultural "Red" diesel. I have spoken in depth to the HMRC/APF/FCA/AA and found a reasonable interest. :001_smile:

Current tax is around 10P a litre on red diesel and 56P a litre on unleaded petrol. This is considered illegal tax when the fuel is not being used in road going vehicles.

There are three producers of green chainsaw fuels now including Aspen (which we had used for over 10 years) but the direct trade prices are still too expensive to those of us who use large amounts each work time. When working in Norway I found that the fuel is tax free due to the health concerns of professional chainsaw workers and the forests we work in.

Some help and ideas on this please!! :thumbup:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice idea, but at the worst possible time. Whilst the government is in a cost cutting frenzy, they will probably be not inclined to start cutting fuel duty any time soon in response to a small pressure group representing a rather anonymous (in the public eye/national psychy) industry. Even combined arboriculture and forestry does'nt have an imposing public profile.

I'm not trying to denegrate your idea, just think it wil be a long hard uphill struggle in the current climate.

On a more positive note, perhaps you could try to stimulate the debate/argument by combining the case for reducing duty on fuels by also campaigning for VAT exemption on all arb/forestry PPE. My chainsaw pants like my boots and helmet are worn for protection not as fashion accessories, so no VAT on pants would be a definate plus!

Wishing you the best of luck man. :thumbup:

Well done for starting this.

Is there going to be some kind of online petition form? if so then please forward it to myself and I will pass it on to all of our customers.

This is something we are working on but obviously it will work a lot better if its coming from the likes of yourselves and not from us directly.

please let me know if you require any further information from us.

Kind Regards

Axel Hildebrand

Aspen Fuels

Anyone know of diesel powered chainsaws ?

Anyone into model r/c aeroplanes will know that the small engines employed in them were often "glow-plug" i.e. compression ignition engines so effectively a diesel. If they can work then I wonder why they haven't found their way into garden machinery???

Well done for starting this.

Ditto :thumbup1:

• 4 months later...

I hope so.

Its costing me more to run my 45cc chainsaw than my 3300cc tractor per hour.

Sorry just realised that not what my figures show.

The saw costs more to cut up 1m3 than the tractor does to split it. Not quite the same but still shocking as the splitting takes twice as long.

Edited by Justme
add stuff