Oak trunk for sale in north london

Jenny Tool

In about 3-4 weeks time i will be felling an oak tree due to insurance etc. The oak appears to be totally healthy and it seems such a waste to cut up the tree trunk for disposal. so does anyone want to buy the trunk? the tree is in the back garden in north london, winchmore hill N.21. you can only portable saw mill this. Aprox 17 ft long x 27 inches wide. 16 metre walk from trunk to vehicle, 1x piece of washing line pulley (visible) metal in trunk, i think easily dug out, 30 inch gate access. In the garden itself is plenty of space as the oak is in the middle of the lawn. I will fell the trunk for anyone to mill from there onwards. dont worry about offcuts/sawdust i will clean that up, site visit is possible for anyone to see what i"m describing. any questions call me on 0208 882 0972

chris @ tree wise men

Am i missing the point? I need some feedback with regards to the above thread. I thought that quality oak of this size would be of some value. I thought of buying a planking saw and keeping the timber for use at a later date, but with no response from anyone i"m begining to think that this oak or processed into planks will hold little value hence why no one is interested in it. I"ve never planked tree before always logged it up and been charged for disposal, seems such a waste. Any one please with any ideas, or the MS880 is having it for lunch!

I have a chainsaw mill but you are way out of my range. My other observations are….

It’s a garden chunk of Oak with at least 1 saw wrecking inclusion (and probably more) so not the first choice.

By the time someone has paid for the timber, planked it, probably mangled a chain, carted it out of the garden and transported it you have probably worn through all the value.

The other downside of milling on site is when the client sees the tree going out as dimensioned timber they start to get the idea that you are having 2 bites of the cherry and all sorts of ideas cross their minds. Most of what I plank these days is done for the client.

The short answer is timber has value but the best value is clean timber sitting next to the band saw, yours is a long way from that. Buy or borrow a mill to go on your 880 and have a go yourself.

Andy

I agree with the above, at roadside you might have a saleable product in the stem as a whole but with poor access it becomes a logistic problem. A couple of hundred pounds and you could buy yourself an alaskan, you already have the MS880 for it. Plank the wood yourself and build something rustic or plank it and store it for later sale.

I thought I had answered this post, I would not get my Lucas through a 30 " gateway.

I am a country boy and the thought of driving through the city with it's speed cameras, bus lanes and general lack of parking, and towing a large trailer is enough to put me off.

And then there was the word "sale".:thumbdown::thumbdown:

John

In about 3-4 weeks time i will be felling an oak tree due to insurance etc. The oak appears to be totally healthy and it seems such a waste to cut up the tree trunk for disposal. so does anyone want to buy the trunk? the tree is in the back garden in north london, winchmore hill N.21. you can only portable saw mill this. Aprox 17 ft long x 27 inches wide. 16 metre walk from trunk to vehicle, 1x piece of washing line pulley (visible) metal in trunk, i think easily dug out, 30 inch gate access. In the garden itself is plenty of space as the oak is in the middle of the lawn. I will fell the trunk for anyone to mill from there onwards. dont worry about offcuts/sawdust i will clean that up, site visit is possible for anyone to see what i"m describing. any questions call me on 0208 882 0972

chris @ tree wise men

Chris you would probably have got a better response if you had put 'lovely oak available for milling in 3 to 4 weeks North London - person responsible for milling must leave site clean and tidy and commit to completely clearing the main trunk'

It is a myth that trees in back gardens like this are worth anything to sell but you may get someone to clear it for free which would free up at least a days work for you.