woodburners

David oakman

We originally fitted a multifuel room heater just in the front room and that will bring the temperature up in that room to the mid 20's if you require if you set it up right and if you don't mind using a bit of smokeless coal you can get it to burn easily over night. This was a cheapo 200 quid jobbie.

We then fitted one to do the central heating its cost a fair bit to put in as we had to redo our whole heating system at the same time. We fitted a Aarow Stratford Tf50 it has an output of 35000btu which comfortable does the equivilant of 10 radiators and the central heating. I've got it set so once the fire is lit the pump comes on and off for the heating dependant on the water temperature of the return from the gravity circuit. This ensures you have good hot water and you don't promote corrosion in the system. I burn mostly wood but also burn anthracite or other smokeless coal as I find it easier to get it to slumber overnight so you get up in the morning shove a bit more wood on and riddle the grate and its usually off and burning again. I wouldn't go back to gas. Even if I do run out of wood I find its still cheaper running coal rather than gas.

When we had gas heating it was costing us 20-30 pounds a month to have it on for just 3 hours a day. Now we can have the heating on for 12 hours + a day and only pay out about 25 pound a month on coal when I'm burning a mix of coal and wood.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours is a Aarrow stratford Tf50, I think it cost us about a grand for the boiler which isn't bad when you look at the price of Gas boilers. The rest of the system probably cost another grand for all the pipework etc as I fitted it myself including the new pipework. We changed from a combi boiler to having a hot water cylinder which increased the cost. If I had an endless supply of wood and a bigger house I'd go for the biggest stove you can fit boiler wise I know that aarrow do upto 90000btu which is large to say the least. If you are in a smokeless zone really you need to get one that is certified for clean burn with an exemption certificate. The one that springs to mind is the Dunsley Heat Yorkshire stove. Its worth having a good search on the interweb about stoves and stove fitting and see what will suit your needs. We got our stove from D roberts heating in chorley and there website gives you an idea of some of the stoves that are available. At the end of the day most modern boiler stoves should be very efficient and its down to the boiler size and whether you like the look of the thing.

• 3 weeks later...

bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one, just sorting out moving into a new (to us) house, it has three open fire one of which will be having a log burner installed, in the lounge. (four open fires if you include the blocked up one i have found in one of the bedrooms)

in the kitchen there is a knackered solid fuel aga the side has gone in it (badly), and its piped to do the hot water system with an immersion heater back up, so my question is do any of you run solid fuel cookers? if so what and how do you get on with them, the wife is keen to put a solid fuel back in and i have to say with oil and electric prices on the up shes probably right,

there is an electric oven as well but being sourcing logs isnt a problem but electric bills maybe more of a head ache the way this country is going.

anyway all feedback appreciated,

Charlie

• 7 months later...

i've got an aarrow sm70, had it 13yrs. my opinion... i would not get another

aarrow spares for older stoves do not exist, you have to botch a job with the spares from other newer stoves, as sent and told by aarrow.

glass seals always need replacing almost as soon as you put them in and the door rope every year.

as for heating the house... mainly a room heater and the wood is free.. free heat

I fitted a Morso dove with a back boiler last year it does all hot water and radiators, for less than £500[this is for buying in wood and a wee bit of anthracite].

With the previous oil system I had which was actualy pretty eficient I'd be paying out £2500

I use some anthracite when it's really cold and will keep it in all night.

Our house is about 850ft ASL , there is 6"'s of snow outside and we are roasting right now in t-shirts:001_smile:

As far as cooking with a stove I'd go back to it in a shot but we don't have a space in the kitchen for one, there are some good ones from Italy for under £2000