Miss nearmiss or a snitch ?????

Treegeek

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Near Miss/Hazard reporting highlights peoples attitude to their own and that of others safety, a 20p 20sec phone call may save some ones life. At the end of the day No one is paid enough to go home in an Ambulance or a box. If you find near miss reporting an inconvenience and a waste of time then I wouldn't want to work with you or employ you.

Near miss reporting will identify any trends that are occurring and hopefully avoid accidents.

Reporting a nearmiss to prevent accidents is what adults do, calling others snitches or grasses is the job for children trying to win a popularity contest with bullies and idiots.

If someone just fixes the mistakes of others with out reporting or telling off and educating and disciplining the culprits then it will keep hapening, so to change the pattern of good folk leaving good companies because the idiots are allowed to continue their poor practices then something needs to get changed.

Biting your tongue leads to frustration, accidents and bad blood between employees which then leads to less pennies in the pockets of the bosses, so then the company doesn't do so well and jobs get lost.

:congrats:

Surgely it all depends on what the company classes as a near miss.

I am always interested in how accidents really happen and do think it is very important to inform when very serious near misses with a high potential for injury happen.

A mate of mine who works in a different industry although is supposed to report on any near misses that happen on the way to work ie someone nearly pulls out in front of you then stops at the very last second while driving!

Slimbo good point I worked for a company called Banyards and if you cracked a door mirror on a vehicle etc then thay had a driving instructor come and down a assesment of your driving.

I do understand the consequenses (questionable spelling sorry) of not highlighting short comings in peoples skills and slip ups.

LoL. just been sitting in work listening to new release near miss reports. LMAO. Its a subject i ignor in work for the fact it was near miss. not a hit. who cares if a bee stung you or u didnt see that stump and (almost) hit the vehical. Some companys enforce near miss reports as if you dont have a near miss your doing somthing wrong. Wheres the lodgic in that.

Maybe you should put yourself in the position of someone that has the resposibility of the safety of his guys and aspires to a zero injury record, there is always a symptom to a near miss or a accident, the more near misses that are logged and acted upon reduces the chances of harm to yourself or a fellow employee. You are a liability with you current attitude IMO.

Hi big boss beechwood your an employer how do you go about this kind of situation ??? the department i work within the managers are just that and IMO don't have a "working relashionship" with the team members in part i feel because of the pressures to be productive in there own right:thumbdown:

I think that in a smaller out fit the owner/manager might have worked with the employees and have a first hand vantage point of there staff and issues can be addressed abit more relaxed enviroment ???

If someone has never performed a certain task before and only had minimum training then near misses and accidents will happen. For some people a big thorn in the finger, a little cut with a silky and a quick kick back and snap of the chain break is enough for them to respect their surroundings, task and more importantly themselves. :001_smile:

The best thing for me has been the the blue tooth headsets and taking videos of the guys working. The headsets can prevent bad working positions and poor work methods and the video is great for the individual to see themselves work and what they are doing wrong. Also it is great for rewarding them for their good points, the key is to motivate people and this can not be done through punishment and negativity, this doesnt mean cuddles and cards every time they make a boo boo, it means respect from both pupil and teacher. The second it gets personal, emotions kicks in first and no common sense will change that after. Comunication is the key.:thumbup1:

R.I.D.D.O.R - reporting of incidents disease's and DANGEROUS OCCURRENCE'S regulations, says we should report near misses to the HSE, which i am in favour of, i work for a large green supermarket and one day badly hurt my hand (trapped between two very heavy objects and think i broke a finger but didn't go hospital, i know i know i should of done !!!) and had to argue the point to get it put in the accident book let alone try and get a near miss reported, apparently its to much hassle to put accidents in the book !!! i agree that the more is reported the better the chance for a change the less chance of an accident but some people seem to think it doesn't apply to them or they don't need to !!!

Hi big boss beechwood your an employer how do you go about this kind of situation ??? the department i work within the managers are just that and IMO don't have a "working relashionship" with the team members in part i feel because of the pressures to be productive in there own right:thumbdown:

I think that in a smaller out fit the owner/manager might have worked with the employees and have a first hand vantage point of there staff and issues can be addressed abit more relaxed enviroment ???

Whatever the working relationship between manager and operative there should be a procedure in place in accordance with RIDDOR. :001_smile: