Hetas

Frank

Those of you in the know about the firewood and biomass industry will have undoubtedly heard of the new HETAS Quality assurance scheme for biomass based upon the Draft european standard, with the first aspect being firewood.

I was wondering how many of you had signed up and what you thought the benefits were. I apperciate this is aimed more so at the larger suppliers and not really of any use to tree surgeons getting rid of your of "arb arisings".

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.:thumbup:

Who will gain from this? The person doing all the hard work in the woods? More like some office based scheme like FSC which raises the overall prices to customers. I attended a meeting at the National Forest and views there were waste of time.

Thanks for the input, exactly why I started this thread. :thumbup1:

Would be interesting to find out how a quality control system could be introduced into the firewood and biomass market in the UK.

Would be interesting to find out how a quality control system could be introduced into the firewood and biomass market in the UK.

I work for Woodfuel Wales. we aim to support producers of firewood. This post is not intended to sell anything, just let you know what's occuring here in Wales!!

Woodfuel Wales are currently piloting a quality scheme in conjunction with HETAS.

Ultimately the scheme "guarantees" that the certified producer is capable of producing firewood at max 25% mc from a sustainable and verifiable source. the scheme aims to ensure "control , responsibility and traceability" within the business.

The scheme does require some extra work, but this should be less than 10 mins a day when the system is running. Setting up the system has the benefit of reviewing current processes and it has been reported that this can lead to efficiencies.

Cost for certification are still being finalised.

I think the scheme will be popular with stove suppliers who regularly experience problems with their new customers burning too wet wood.

In the future, if the RHI scheme ever gets off the ground, I can see payment being made in vouchers redeamable against certified quality firewood - but that's just my guess!!

Check out the HETAS site to see a list of currently certifed producers, maybe give them a call to hear it from the horses mouth.....

http://www.hetas.co.uk/pdfs//Part_2_Fuel_Manufacturers.pdf scroll down to end of page

Why do I need more paperwork. I have linked in with Hetas engineers who like my product because I guarantee that the moisture content will not exceed 20%. So what benefit will I gain with a scheme which I presume does not come free of charge.

Exactly John. The way it stands at the moment its fine as i see it.

The suppliers can please themselves, I, like you try and provide a top quality product that the customer appreciates. Without such a governing body, those who have the attitude of 25% moisture being fine, and wood is wood will fall by the wayside anyhow.

Ultimately the scheme "guarantees" that the certified producer is capable of producing firewood from a sustainable and verifiable source.

I can see issues with confirming which tree the wood came from in a large heap in a barn. "Forestry" is sustainable but "Tree Surgery" waste is often NOT as it comes from private gardens and new trees are not planted to replace the ones removed. :001_rolleyes:

We always fell firewood in wintertime when the sap has stopped and leave it to air dry for a whole season. However often the storage people use makes a nonsence of the moisture rates we deliver in at. (Like outside on the ground under a plastic tarp)

I would be interested to know if Pine and Spruce is considered suitable for fuel in the UK like it is is Norway/Sweden.

Im just about sold out of firewood for this season all ready,,,,nearly at a guess 80-90 cubic meters,,,,and cant get enough,,,,,we sell shed loads because when my dry wood has gone I dont sell wet wood,,,,its simple ,,customers arnt all idiots,,they`ll only buy wet wood from you once,,,,dry wood year after year,,,,,,now hetas might like us all to sell the lowest possibly moisture content(and wouldnt we)at a price, but not everybody has a nice cosy barn ,free of charge to dry it in, cause renting one the figures dont add up,not here in berkshire,anyway,,,,,so my system works,,,dont need any other organisation, telling me how im sucessfully doing it already.....thanks anyway

i looked into the hetas scheme, but i may be wrong, but i seem to recall it costing us upwards of £350 to register each year and yet more paperwork? in the current economic climate i wuold have thought £50 would have been a more realistic charge and less paperwork!

Actually more like around £500 for the first year then £150 per year thereafter plus 30pence per tonne sold through the scheme.