Buying My first Tipper (LDV)?

egs

Hello People,

Well I have been self employed for the past 4 month and think its time to by a tipper. i have roughly 1900 quid to spend. Now ive been looking around and there seems to be Loads of Glasow ex council LDV crew cab tippers. Can anyone give me some info on the LDV's as to what to look for and what they are like etc. Im going to view one on the weekend, 02plate with 60000miles, cages, crew cab.

PS if anyone knows of any cheap tipper going can you let me know

cheers

Do not what ever you do get the old style transit turbo engined one! the imobilisor has packed in on this which controls ecu and injector pump, no one will touch it, just looking into putting a manual pump on it and i should be set to go again :)

other than that i like my ldv :) and im proud to say it! wish i'd have spent that little extra for a 2002 onwards so it would have the 2.4 duratorq

Agreed! One way of telling which model it is is quite simple. Look for a digital mileometer, not the old style ones with actual numbers going round and round, then it should be the duratorque engine which is pretty good and easy to get replacements for, whole engines if need be!

Ask if it has the original clutch. The original dual mass flywheel ones are expensive to replace and are better if they have been replaced with a standard flywheel and clutch combo.

Ldv's are fine, just check for rust and generally how its been looked after.

Do not what ever you do get the old style transit turbo engined one! the imobilisor has packed in on this which controls ecu and injector pump, no one will touch it, just looking into putting a manual pump on it and i should be set to go again :)

other than that i like my ldv :) and im proud to say it! wish i'd have spent that little extra for a 2002 onwards so it would have the 2.4 duratorq

Swinny i have just done the manual conversion on mine still need to tweek the pump abit to get it spot on but it seems ok other than that.

got all my info from the ldv owners forum and the tranny forum :thumbup1:

Hello People,

Well I have been self employed for the past 4 month and think its time to by a tipper

I bought a LDV tipper once, never again. New head, gearbox (reverse went) many, many problems. Cabstar or Canter is the way to go. My advice for what it's worth, put your money down as a deposit and get a decent truck on the knock. ( I once had 3 ton on a cabstar and it drove) (off road only of course)!!!