Husqvarna ear defenders with built in radio

Wee Jim

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel qualified to comment upon this as I have tried almost every brand on the UK market. Run six pairs, so everyone who works for me gets music. Well worth the cost in terms of increased productivity from happy workers.

Husquvarna are rebadged Sonseren. Auto tune is rubbish, constant fading and switching and hard to tune in to the more far flung stations that you'd have no trouble getting with a manual tune. When the battery gets low, you have a 'beep beep' every fifteen seconds. Five minutes of this and you'll want to throw them in the river.

Hellberg TuneUp are ok, not brilliant reception though but do have a 3.5mm line in for ipod/walky talky etc.

Peltor are as previously mentioned, crap reception.

By far the best are a brand by the name of Bilsom. Come from Australia. Amazingly comfortable, replacement pads easily available and SUPERB tuning and sound quality. First found them as Screwfix: Bilsom Radio Ear Defenders - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Then I found a yellow pair with line in: SBA - Bilsom Radio HV Ear Defenders.

Although cheaper than the black ones, audio quality is the same! Currently have four yellow and two black.

Bilsom are the Stihl of the radio ear defender world- everything else is B&Q special in comparison. It really is that different. Trust me on this- I should know as I spent four years trying different brands.

Only 'problem' is they won't fit normal helmets- however I'm ordering a pair of non radio Bilsoms with a helmet fitting for about £8 this week and will try and swap them over. Should work fine, does anyone want to know if it does?

Whilst we're on the subject, Bilsom are distributed in the UK by Sperian. They also distribute very good safety specs- really snug fit but comfy- wear just like sunglasses

Pulsafe Sperian Amber Lens Safety Specs - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

No commercial link with Sperian or Bilsom, but you'll struggle to find better PPE. Like many of you I believe in the best tools for the job, and that should go for PPE too, both for yourself and your employees. :thumbup1:

I want automatic ear defenders, like the ones you use in shooting that only work on loud noise, mine work great with the saw but cant use them with a helmet, nor can I find any that will replace the peltors on my helmets. Any ideas?

I want automatic ear defenders, like the ones you use in shooting that only work on loud noise, mine work great with the saw but cant use them with a helmet, nor can I find any that will replace the peltors on my helmets. Any ideas?

What make are they? You'll probably be able to find a helmet they will fit on.

They all have dedicated headbands because only one of the pair houses the batteries.

Doesn't matter. What matters is how they clip to the headbands. Sonseren will fit to Jonesered helmets. Peltor will fit Stihl helmets. Just unclip from headband, clip one onto helmet, thread wire around band inside helmet to keep it out the way the clip second one onto helmet.

So come on, what make are they? :lol:

Peltor has improved the reception I have 3 sets, The basic set have a short ariel but the newer ones are longer. I also have the alert with radio and mics built in I can have just the radio just the mics or a mix of both.

I also have the basic ones with the longer ariel for a helmet mount.

They do an all singing model with bluetooth, Active noice cancelling and Radio. but its £299!

Its easy to convert theheadband ones to helmet mount if you swap the mounts from the basic muffs when you buy a helmet.

The alerts eat batteries i get less than 40 hours from 2400mah rechargables!!!! I have a usb charger i keep in the van and batteries ready at all times in my lunch bag.