Watch your manhole covers!

Dean Lofthouse

This is the images of two cold callers who just walked up my drive and knocked on the back door and asked the wife if she had any scrap they could have.

There is quite a bit of scrap hidden by the garage which they had spotted, so I have had to move it.

She told them to go away unpolitely and they said words to the effect of " F me, you'd think we were theives or summat".

Anyway, sometime after they had gone I noticed that a couple of drain covers had been stolen, one was exactly where they had parked their truck.

I went to price a job and noticed cones all round the area marking missing manhole covers, one was in the middle of a main road.

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if a motorbike had hit it or it had ripped one of the front wheels off a car which then hit a lampost!

These people want hanging IMO and the scrap dealers that are taking the gear want torturing and then hanging.

The Police are coming up tonight for these photos which are a little grainy cos I took a photo of the monitor screen with my mobile, but it looks like a newish LDV tipper with a sweeping broom stuck in the corner post.

BTW, these guys had a yorkshire accent.

Scumbuckets.jpg.6ecc0b19d337105157be0351efbc12a2.jpg

LDV.jpg.ec72eee37e5984cae759eb437ecc50a6.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a lot of transit sized trucks knocking around "collecting" scrap. They're getting good prices at the moment. I took some fencing wire down to a local scrapyard, and they were paying £160/tonne for that sort of steel. The place was frantic with punters bringing stuff in. One bloke had a trailer full of lead sheet, all folded up, so i'd imagine some vicar some where is going to get wet next time it rains on a Sunday.

Watching the scrapyards would be how to catch them.

Watching the scrapyards would be how to catch them.

So true.

I would imagine from what the police have told me that all the manhole / drain covers are owned by utility or LA s.

If this is the case then they would dispose of any damaged covers via there own designated dealers and no private scrap collectors would have access to them without them being stolen.