i'm gobsmacked...

ad15

Yeah- its a great reason. Theres too many customers out there anyway at the mo.:lol::lol::lol:

its a crap reason IMO , i used to work like this way and proven wrong so many times , how are the general public meant to know whats what when it comes to a profession that they know nothing about ? its like anything we all love a bargain (or what we think to be a bargain ) so why would the woman have any reason to doubt that the guy quoting £140 to do half a days work is to steep ?? maybe she is thinking that the quote for £300 was to steep or maybe inflated ?? . Anyway how can you deduce that smoeone that accepts the cheeper quote my be a bad payer ? this is not a big at anyone in specific just simply my thoughts

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah, sorry mate. I didnt really mean "upset". You know?

It probably cant be done for profit, for £140 but if you think it could be done in half a day and have another DECENT priced couple of hours job and a log delivery in the evening you could do say £600 that day, surely that would be enough to pay the helper and fuel the saws / chipper???? Thats what I meant by making it possible to do it for £140.

ok i get your point,, my problem with that is when that customer then has a friend that needs something doing,, and this customer tells that person that such and such was done for £140.. they are un aware of what else was done that day,,, it will set a presedent,,, i'd rather walk away..:thumbup:

so why would the woman have any reason to doubt that the guy quoting £140 to do half a days work is to steep ?? maybe she is thinking that the quote for £300 was to steep or maybe inflated ?? .

Thats why, if you are getting another quote, you should get three, otherwise you cannot compare accurately.

If I was having something big done I would get four quotes, and if one was miles away from the others in either direction I'd bin that one, then I'd weed out the Bull talker, because you always get one :biggrin:

Then I'd ask the other two for a reference

dave, no one said anything about bad paying,, i never mentioned it at all,

and when i went round to see the wife of this particular pro surfer i explained what was involved in great detail, from insurance, etc etc etc... she knew exactly what was going where,, and why the cost was £300..

LOL

Nowt wrong, except past experience has taught me that vermeer uk have a VERY healthy mark up on bits, and as i can get identical bearings for less than half price, i thought id look for a feed roller not from them too.

Its within budget, but i like to save a bit if poss.

Maybe they have have a few nice little jobs they could do aswell that make it a profitable day, maybe they enjoy that type of work alot so will work for less ( thats a big maybe in that case) either way everyone looks at jobs differently depending on what they can tie it in with and what they like to do and there circumstances in general.

If i quote someone and they have already recieved a quote for silly money, i just carry on, tell them the standard of work they will get from me and keep my price exactly the same, leave and dont give it a second thought. If you here from them good if you dont, good luck to them :001_smile:

ok i get your point,, my problem with that is when that customer then has a friend that needs something doing,, and this customer tells that person that such and such was done for £140.. they are un aware of what else was done that day,,, it will set a presedent,,, i'd rather walk away..:thumbup:

Exactly.

Or you could be honest and explain that they are getting an absolute bargain because you have another job that will fill in the day, make them feel lucky. Then say, "when you tell all your friends about how great I am, don't tell them how stupidly cheap I was".

Haha

Or just walk away. £180 minimum call out. Send them a bill for £45 for the quote. Haha.

Its dissapointing ad when your starting out,but this type of thing will happen over and over,what can look like a days work to you can be a couple of hours to someone else,it depends on the way they work,ive had it time and again when quoting Llandi hedges,when quoting i will often tell the customer to get other quotes and give them a couple of names usualy people who charge the earth,it makes my quote look great,but keep at it its amazing how little some people will work for,i find it quite amusing.