i'm gobsmacked...

ad15

a week or two back i was asked to go and quote for a syc reduction/massacre at a house in the middle of newquay, it was a 25-30ft single stem syc with a large crown..

it is also roadside, in a conservation area, half the tree overhangs the road in a busy bit of town..

it was a bit of a mates rates deal and i said i'd do it for £300, including taking away all chip, groundie etc etc.

anyway,, just did a fiollow up call to see if she wanted to proceed..

her exact words " i had a quote of a guy last night to do it for £140, if you can do the job for that it's yours":confused1::confused1:

i am still not able to understand how someone could do the job for that amount....

i'd taken into account:

climber

groundie

chipper

fuel

planning lark

insurance

removal of arisings

1 days work set aside for job and coning off the night before as it's a popular parking spot..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does'nt suprise me. We were asked to "fell" a tree next to the M5 in Devon the other week access only by PRoW. Went to have a look and everything was overhanging the Highways fence and if it went wrong the who knows. So we said it would need to be dismantled and would be £350 to which one of the richest racehorse trainers whos tree it was nearly scoffed, oh by the way Highways had told him it was dangerous and had to come down. Went past the following monday to see someone had come in obviously on their onw, semi dismantled it and dropped most of the branches on the fence, and looks like they broke a rail (which if the highways see, will charge them mega money to repair) and left a pile of mess. Oh well.

i left her a message this afternoon saying that it is impossible for me to do it at that price without making a loss,,,

recommended that she check the other guys insurance policy, ask how he will manage the traffic etc as well as asking to see the application to the planning dep for the works etc etc,,

Hey ad man, dont do mates rates. simple. let her get it done for £140, if some one can do it for that price then good luck to em mate, not worth the stress. find out when shes getting it done for £140 and go and take pics to put on ere, gives all a laugh.

Be fun when/if all us legit registered qualified tradesmen are forced into using all terrain MEWPS, imagine the shocks when we quote then???

Why oh why is this trade fround upon and looked at as though its numpty work for an absolute rock bottom price?

as quoted above, we ALL know her final bill for sorting everything out to a sufficient standard will be far more than £300!

shes asking for trouble and i`d be amazed if she gets it sorted 1st off for 140 with bodgit & scarper sons inc.