110 chipper thoughts?

armchairarborist

Lani-chip.... This concept has been put to the market to see what feedback would be received. It is a PROTOTYPE that is why it needs more ideas and your positive input. So in view of the comments it will be put onto a 130 landrover and yes will have a larger chipbox and of course compartments to put kit etc. Main points of the Lani-chip are, the off road capabilities, narrower than a transit, easier to reverse, you dont need a towing license however a tow bar could be fitted. Aimed mainly at Utilities,Councils,Parks,Estates, even sole traders and so on. We found the response 90% positive and 10% were the kind of people who like to slate a design and not really understand that there are people out there trying to make their jobs a little bit easier. We know its not for everyone. Perhaps we should sell the idea abroad then we can welcome it back with open arms but whinge its a foreign idea why didnt we think of that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lani-chip.... This concept has been put to the market to see what feedback would be received. It is a PROTOTYPE that is why it needs more ideas and your positive input. So in view of the comments it will be put onto a 130 landrover and yes will have a larger chipbox and of course compartments to put kit etc. Main points of the Lani-chip are, the off road capabilities, narrower than a transit, easier to reverse, you dont need a towing license however a tow bar could be fitted. Aimed mainly at Utilities,Councils,Parks,Estates, even sole traders and so on. We found the response 90% positive and 10% were the kind of people who like to slate a design and not really understand that there are people out there trying to make their jobs a little bit easier. We know its not for everyone. Perhaps we should sell the idea abroad then we can welcome it back with open arms but whinge its a foreign idea why didnt we think of that.

You should add the toolbox, definatly on a 130 as your chip box will be bigger without overloading the rear axle!

I can understand its a prototype and you should be open to all range of comments as there will always be something to say!

If i was in the market for a compact work vehicle, if that had a toolbox instead of a chipbox and had a trailer suited to it i.e. a long chute which extended from the chipper to the trailer behind the truck, i would be looking at one.

I know of someone who has got a TP chipper mounted into the back of a hilux.

Mainly used on utility work, and it seems popular on most jobs (but the chips stay where they belong, i.e. on site).

A 130 seems to be approaching the realms of compromise. I would personally be more tempted with a chipper running from the transfer box on a 90.

(a red diesel powered 90)

I loved the idea but as discussed at the show a turntable mount allowing side feed so you blow the chip backwards into a trailer would mean a 3050kg 110 could be used saving £k's on the base vehicle and legally you can cart more chip in a 3500kg trailer than any 3500kg truck. Change the chip box into a tool box with draws/bench in one side and it will be like a mobile workshop. For those rare jobs where chip can stay on site then just take the truck no trailer. Thanks for showing it

I can see applications for this. I've been asked to do woodland work where they don't want brash (arson risk), don't want piles of chips (ecologist has told them they'll smother ground flora/alter fertility levels etc) and don't want them spread on the paths (looks untidy :001_huh:). The only alternative left was to take them off site. I think the 130 idea would be better, because the 110 chip box looks tiny.

Another advantage compared to towing trailers or chippers would be that you wouldn't need a tacho under any circumstances.. you can't say the same once you've hitched up to anything of any weight.

Edited by Quickthorn

Chipperguy, welcome to the forum. I saw this prototype at the show and barely looked at it. Why? My mate, who I was with, is a Landy fanatic and comes over all unnecessary when he sees something like this. Mad! So I try not to encourage him too much. What I do like about this trade, is that we come up with ideas that help make our lives easier,such as yours. With the feedback on here, I'm sure you'll end up with a successful product that will serve the Utilites market well. Good luck with the project:thumbup1:

I did have a chat with Paul Abbott on our stand about it and I have to admit that I can see that it has a application for ute work, where a lot of chip is left on site and 4x4 is a must. A good customer of ours was looking to get LR to do him a likely device to carry a 6" GreenMech PTO and discovered that axle loadings, fuel regs, licence regs, cost blah blah blah were going to be an issue. Perhaps that is why not many Agri-Rovers were built/sold.

Fair play to Paul and his team for having the balls to give it a go.

(Still would have been better with a GreenMech tho):sneaky2:

With a tipping ifor intow its just a scaled down trator pto chipper and chip trailer , weight limits would greatly improved landrover tipper max 3.5 landrover chipper with trailer 7.5 max only probelm is lenght (as my girldfriend tells me alot) i like it, dont know if im gonna take my trusty little 150 and weld it up to a 90/110 just yet. Chippers and defenders are red hot for scumbags ,nick one get one free.