Possibly looking to go into arb

ctenicera

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old female currently working in wildlife conservation thinking about moving into arb, either permanantly or as a back up if I'm ever out of work in my current career.

I'm wondering what my chances would be of ever finding work? (Sorry for the really long post by the way!)

I currently have -

CS30 and 31

PA1 and PA6

Brushcutter (LANTRA integrated training and assessment, not NPTC assessed)

Woodchipper (LANTRA integrated training and assessment, not NPTC assessed)

ATV (LANTRA integrated training and assessment, not NPTC assessed)

4x4 offroad driving (LANTRA integrated training and assessment, not NPTC assessed)

First Aid at Work

Educated to degree level, but my degree is in wildlife conservation.

Full, clean driving licence, but unfortunately not pre-97, nor do I have either catagory E or C.

I have quite a bit of felling experience gained through working in conservation as well as plenty of experience chipping, coppicing, hedgelaying, tree and hedge planting, using pesticides, using brushcutters, using ATV's, driving 4x4's etc.

So, that's my current experience in a nutshell, I'm considering supplementing this with -

RFS cert in arb, heard good things about this.

CS45, any good?

Stump grinder course, any good?

Would you recommend these courses to improve my experience and for my driving licence, how essential is trailer towing and category C? Also, would I have to get my current LANTRA assessed quals assessed by NPTC?

And one more question, apologies in advance for any controversy here - will I find it difficult getting a job being female?

So have I got any chance, is it hard to say, or shall I just stick with the wildlife!!:biggrin:

Thanks,

J

Welcome to AT ctenicera (ill call you J from now on).

For my two penn'orth I would say stumpgrinding course isnt essential. NPTC tickets wil be a big advantage, as most insurers like to see them in place over LANTRA.

RFS cert is good.

There are several female members on arbtalk, so No ought to be the answer to that one.

hope thats of some encouragement for now. Good luck.

Oh- and stop apologising lol!

Hi there and welcome to the world of Arb I am female too and not far off 40 years old and its the best choice I have ever made coming into Arb . If you are really determined and are willing to work hard you will do really well .

I find now working for my self being a girl really gets more customers as I get lots of women ringing me to help them with there trees and gardens as they don't want a load of macho men and find it refreshing and an inspiration to them to have a female doing the work .

I would suggest doing your CS38/39 as soon as you can this will help you and its the fun part of the job. most employers do like to see for grounding at least 30/31/ and 38 so you can assist the climber should the need arise.

but if you get your 39 as well then you are off to a flying start .

Go for a groundy job to get your exp and you will learn loads and if you have your 38/39 as a groundy then after a little while most company's will get you started on the climbing and you will slowly build your skills with them .

You will meet some great fun people along the way .

Go for it girl its the best fun you will ever have .

Give it your all and don't give up even if you find it gets tough you will go through some ups and downs believe me you will but tough it out it will you as hard as nails .

Work for different people it will give you a chance to exp different ways of working and doing things you will meet different people with so many different things to offer.

All the best

Littltree.

Welcome to ArbTalk J,

I agree with Littletree get your CS38/39 but maybe try and get some work time with a crew to make sure you will like it as you could spend a fair bit of money getting both tickets.

Have you got your own PPE and saw? If not then having them will help with getting so subbying work.

You already have an impressive list of qualifications and experiences certainly more than I had when I got into the arb industry.

And if a employer doesn't want you working for them because your a girl would you really want to work for them?? I think not and it would probably be their loss.

Remember to add tea making and cleaning to you CV :001_tt2:

Welcome to ArbTalk J,

I agree with Littletree get your CS38/39 but maybe try and get some work time with a crew to make sure you will like it as you could spend a fair bit of money getting both tickets.

Have you got your own PPE and saw? If not then having them will help with getting so subbying work.

You already have an impressive list of qualifications and experiences certainly more than I had when I got into the arb industry.

And if a employer doesn't want you working for them because your a girl would you really want to work for them?? I think not and it would probably be their loss.

Remember to add tea making and cleaning to you CV :001_tt2:

ooooh, stevie mac!!!!! a brave man to make that last sentence!!!!!!!!!:001_rolleyes:

good luck j with your new venture!!

Hello J,

loads of great info from the above posts, particularly Littletree.

We have a young mum of two, currently gaining work experience with us for a few months, as part of her college work placement.

Really best way to gauge the work & whether it's for you or not.

Good luck in your decision.

D

IMG_6991.jpg.545f551ad322a206dcc733e72d05ec49.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg.2a04fb87ea6d14e71a3210fc58e4a457.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg.edc46f742900f32da002adc801204995.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg.6556999bedb398b05fee0d4b94312014.jpg

I've worked with a few lasses over the years j and they all got on fine, only thing I found awkward was if they were ever struggling on an embankment or at lifting something I used to worry about offending them by saying to u need a hand, but I suppose it's obviously worse not asking haha. I would say go for the bigger firms too they seem to accommodate women better in my experience and the lasses I worked with done a mixture of on the tools and pricing etc, like lilltree said women like to see other women doin the job too.

Depending on where you are based, we may have some projects coming up that could benof interest to you. From the basis of your working background I think you would be a valuable asset to any company. Drop us a line or PM if you are interested in discussing some low impact extraction felling in north Lincolnshire.

Thanks.