Ideal saw for groundwork?

evergreen

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my ms 361. I got it a week after they had come out, and until this year when it needed a carb kit, it has been one of the gutsiest and most reliable machines ever.With a 16" bar it is an amazing bit of kit.. I have to say i dont think the 362 is as good. Close, but not quite.

• 4 weeks later...
the power sharp thing is strange, a whole new bar and chain design and a sharpening stone that fits on the end. looked good when i saw it demo'd but would rather stick to files as it didnt seem to get the chain really sharp. good idea though.

back to the saw, i have used a 346xp with a 13" bar and it was a brilliant saw. one of the only huskies i rate. just because i prefere stihl. If you were interested in a stihl there is a 261 coming out which looks good.

Hi

the point is not how sharp you can get a 3/8 low pro chain but how fast can you file yours after you have hit a stone or dirt, the Power sharp sharpens in under 5 seconds, everytime.

Try it out at a few dealers then you can see for yourself.

Les:thumbup:

Exactly my thoughts when i saw it at APF - wasn't overly impressed to be honest.

Hi

A few people witnessed a bad demo at the APF, i would like to explain that in stuffing the powersharp chain in the dirt and bricks 15-20 times [just to show the abuse chains can get] eventually the chain wears out. The last of these demo's naturally are not impressive. We had in estimate 2000 plus see demo's at the APF over the three days most were impressed.

Having now demo'd over 200 times the power sharp system across the South East i'll challenge you to a cut test, including blunting in the dirt then finishing the log. You can use your once sharp conventional chain and i will use power sharp.

Any takers on a side bet ? a bottle of your finest perhaps ?

Seriously, we at Oregon have been given a new product that since the founder of Oregon chain invented what today is the modern chain we all use was as exciting to the slasher chain and cross cut users back in 1947. Power sharp has enormous potential and has already proved it's saleability around the World since it's launch.

Many Arbtalkers have seen and tried it and see the benefit of saving pro saws for cleaner wood by using a Power sharp set up which takes under 5 seconds to sharpen.

After all having learnt to sharpen and spent time getting the edges and angles correct the worst thing is to hear the zzzz sound and have to stop and sharpen for 15 minutes then again in the second cut and so on.

Time is money and for just over£45.00 + vat you can be cutting longer and keep your super sharp bigger saw for some cleaner decent wood.

Give it a try at local dealer then make your mind up.

Post back where you are and i'll tell you the nearest stockist.:thumbup:

Best Regards

Les

Area Mgr Oregon Cutting Systems Division

The powersharp is designed for the domestic market.

The 346xp is an excellent saw, as is the ms240 and ms260.

Can't understand the point of the ms240 not half the saw the ms260 is and not much change left over if you have the money for a 260. Can anyone explain why they bother with the 240, 440, 640 when for a few extra quid you can have the 260, 460, or 660?

Exception being possibly the 441 but I'd have a 460 over that any day. Just my opinion, others may differ.

Can't understand the point of the ms240 not half the saw the ms260 is and not much change left over if you have the money for a 260. Can anyone explain why they bother with the 240, 440, 640 when for a few extra quid you can have the 260, 460, or 660?

Exception being possibly the 441 but I'd have a 460 over that any day. Just my opinion, others may differ.

440 is a bloody brilliant saw!!!!!!!!!! amazing power to weight ratio and we run two of them either with 20" or somtimes a 25" felling hardwoods, 460's are great used them with 18" and 25" bars and they have amazing power, they both have their place :001_smile:

as for the 240 and the 650 they are just other saws with slightly less power than the above models and to be honest with stihls prices how they are now i bet they sell a fair few as they are slightly cheaper

on the contrary.....the entire point of sharpening a chain is for maximum performance....id rather spend 5-10 minutes sharpening a professional chain all day long

Agreed Steve when using conventional chain in normal conditions, our bread and butter business as the Worlds no1 chain and bar mfg company.

Power sharp enable you to overcome the extra sharpening when faced with the dirty wood conditions all chainsaws users hate to experience now matter how good they can sharpen. It is not designed to replace our conventional chain but work along side it and for many who are not pro's who cut logs for the fire it gives them the chance to cut with a sharp chain rather than forcing a dull chain thru.

The point is exactly the subject as when blunt power sharp is back working in under 5 seconds, i've met some brilliant sharpeners in my time but none that quick and as the clock ticks time is money.