stupid question time?

elicokiz

This is a realy stupid question? :blushing:it relates to AFAG 401 in the PPE section where it states that a safety helmet should be used with a suitable chin strap ? the question is - does anyone climb using a forestry helmet with an elasticated strap? i always assumed the strap had to be of the locking type to avoid the helmet detatching in the event of a fall. said it was a silly question.

cheers

Dave

Illegitimis non carborundum

It also says that you can climb using a "rock climbing" type helmet....I would take it with a pinch of HCL. Rock type (caving) tend to be without side impact resistance- one of the issues with the Vertex (vent & others) .

The AA published "Guide to Good Climbing practice" updated in 2005 ( to include Work @ Height ) may help clarify any issues.

At the end of the day, you gotta comply with your "Safety Officer"- regardless .

It also says that you can climb using a "rock climbing" type helmet....I would take it with a pinch of HCL. Rock type (caving) tend to be without side impact resistance- one of the issues with the Vertex (vent & others) .

just looked at my lid (vertex vent) it complies with En 12492.

I thought ear muffs are what keep your helmet secure!:001_huh:

I have never liked chinstraps and they are the first thing to get thrown in the bin when I unwrap a new helmet.

Its like a seat belt in your car, it will probably save your life in an accident but it feels uncomfortable and makes you look like a big girls blouse.

No contest on what to do.:thumbup:

P.S same with braces, but they wont save your life.:001_tongue:

just looked at my lid (vertex vent) it complies with En 12492.

Its what I use aswell...but look at that rack of ventilation drilled in both sides of it....still trust the "leaflets" ? I think not. Salt, hcl...dont care what you call it...I started my climbing career doing nightshifts...in the dark, 12hr shifts; railwork. What a gas....Doesnt mean I think the HSE know whats what...or my safety officer Im afraid! The fact remains that HSE is lead by the sector industry it comments on....If it hurts, HSE are last to find out about it..You gotta use you noodle when it comes down

to it...

btw..what is chemical designation of salt if not Hcl...I even looked it up!! :blushing: