You've got me at it now Hama

Albedo

I would also say that i think your being a little too whats the word? nerdy about the guide book, tear it up it aint worth the paper its written on, its so basic it only tells you what you can work out on your own in 5 minutes flat!

as for not relying on the Ia (inteligent auto) auto features are great IF you know basic photography rules, and know some basic metering focusing proscessor flaws. Its like I said before its the glass and the user NOT the camera that make a photo, that and the ultimate ingridient LIGHT.

Forget the gimmick viewfinder, its just for old skool guys that cant adapt thier minds eye to the picture format on screen, makes them feel retro and comfortable with the new technology! the screen tells it like it is, is bigger than a viewfinder and is reliably full frame. get used to it and if you got glare get a shade, rather than a view finder, the cameras new, cases and shades will come shortly, youll see.

The cameras very new, i and another guy bought the last 2 in shop and its going to sell its nuts off so accsesories and stuff will shortly follow.

Aperture priority and Shutter priority along with program shift should be more than enough for anyone, manula is cool and retro, you need a light meter but truth is these days with spot centre wieghted and average metering, auto focus you realy only need to focus on basics like light composition and point of focus, let the camera do the rest.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The respect due fella, was you that pointed this little gem out, was only right and propper.

PS the crop in that last image, mmmmmm realy? not Quiet there, have you found the golden mean rule of thirds grid button on the LX5 yet?

Press display several times! oh and it adapts the grid to all the wonderful picture formats too, aint that a great feature! square, regular (4x3) 3x2 and 16x9

I know the crop is crap but I'm gonna explain something about the rule of thirds.

More of a confession really. I've known of its existance and other rules for over 30 years and never read or seen it. Although I assume it says that sky etc should be a third of the image.

I've seen the grid, but don't see why I should compose an image by it

I've avoided it deliberately. I always had a natural eye for composition and didn't want it corrupted by rules.

I may change this view after all this time, but back in the day I've had several pro photographer friends that said my composition was natural.

I don't want to ruin it by learning rules so have never learned them.

The crap crop was an attempt to save a crap photo, that might not have been crap if I could have seen the screen to compose it the way I liked, also again I rushed it.

I need to learn technical stuff but am staying away from composition rules for the time being.

Edit : no angry tone in this post if it reads that way, I was thinking about what I was writing and finding crap crop mildly amusing, and am bored of smiley faces, but assume smiley tone mate

Edited by Albedo

A true student of art first learns the rules, and then he masters the art by the learning how to bend them rules, succsefully.

Rules are their to be broken, but only when one has first mastered them.

Take my word for it, I hate rules, but they form the basis of succses from society to science, learn them and master the art, ignore them and be one of the "also ran"

A true student of art first learns the rules, and then he masters the art by the learning how to bend them rules, succsefully.

Rules are their to be broken, but only when one has first mastered them.

Take my word for it, I hate rules, but they form the basis of succses from society to science, learn them and master the art, ignore them and be one of the "also ran"

I like that quote H, and as I approach oldness I find my stubborn old ways changing, I've had a few examples of this lately. I may well take that advice, its in a form that I like.

By the way, as this is in the fungi pictures bit, heres my other pic from today.

These wee beasties on dead malus And I know you can't do the work for me so its back to some learning for me but keep it comeing H .... advice, buttons I don't know about, its all good:thumbup1:

P1000841.jpg.832aefce229254dc3c44e80ffd741924.jpg