You've got me at it now Hama

Albedo

lol, Im bying this one, absolutley, 100%

shall give it as long as I can (a day) then look em up! can you change lenses at all?

You can't change lenses as its a compact. Its 24mm to 90mm with a bit of extra digital zoom added. So 3.8 x zoom plus up to approx x 5.8 with the digital zoom without loss of quality.

To change lenses, its the panasonic GF1 (micro 4/3rds) which would be about 400 quid for the body and the 20mm. This would be a possible as it has stunning macro.

but add about 180 quid per lense after that.

I'll troll thru the picks for more examples but haven't done any zoom stuff yet really. I'd love the GF1 but am too lazy for all the lenses.

LX5does shoot raw and have full manual etc

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10.1 mega pixels? pants do for now though, or shall i keep saving for the 5D? mmmmmmm

if you think this panasonics good! wait till you see pics from me off that bad boy!

coupled with a 100mm canon macro and ring light, and novaflex auto bellows! whooooop whoooop

Your cannon will whoop the butt of my LX5 and rightly so. This is just a posh point and shoot, or an entry level DSLR, in that you learn how to control aperture, ISO etc and don't have to carry loads of lenses around.

I'm delighted that you approve of my choice, but I think you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED your cannon:001_smile:

Haven't you heard the pixel race is over by the way mate?:001_smile:

The pixel race may well be over, but sensor size still rules the day, and i cant ever dream of a medium format hassleblad!

I concur H.

Don't you and me just love derailing things, In fact I started this thread in the fungi forum hopeing (not so secretly) that it would become about cameras.

I did only have pics of fungi though in my defence you honour:biggrin:

I dunno H.

I see what your’e asking but I don’t think that way and I haven’t done the research on SLRs

I used to be really into my photography years ago. I converted a bathroom in a rented place in london into a little black and white darkroom. I was mostly into portrait stuff, and did a lot around the free party scene with spiral tribe in the early 90s. Then I gave it up apart from a cheapyish nickon coolpix which did all the snaps till I killed it.

Did all my current research on compacts as I wanted the best quality and versatility I could get in a go anywhere do anything in yer pocket thing. I reckon I’ve got that now in the LX5 althought the G11 or S90 / S95 would have done the trick as well.

I would always buy the best equipment I could afford for the job I want it to do. Most things that I need I knock up out of whats around and available. It’s the way I like to do things.

Unfortunately I cant weld up a digital camera, or knock it up out of bits of wood and twine, If I could I would.

I wouldn’t want a money no object SLR, I’d want what does the job I want it to do if you see what I mean.

I’d guess your choice is pretty good but I’ll have to let you know if and when I go down the DSLR route a bit later on.

Edit - I ended up with a cannon eos 300 and sigma 28 - 200mm film SLR by the way I might start looking at the latest EOS range in DSLRs with flasher glass

Edited by Albedo

I googled the D5 last night and my thoughts on the matter are that, you'll easily spend 2k + to be in that league and youv'e still got a big lump to carry around, whilst for £350ish you can get going straight away with less (but highly acceptable) quality but more portability.

Heres one I took today on a wee flexy tripod thing with aperture cranked up again for DOF, trying to get the stem in focus.

Dont forget you can shoot in raw and with the software that comes with it you can tweak slightly washed out bits etc. This one straight out of camera though.

P1000585ed.jpg.5b821cd0e381972d8a0d5fde30bf8d48.jpg