Countryfile BBC1 - Brighton Elms

Al Cormack

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it gets burned:001_smile:

not always !! i think alot of what we do trying to prevent dutch elm doesnt make much sense somtimes we bleach the saw bars after cutting off infected branches yet 3 miles up the rd in the next area the councils dont give a crap and the streets are lined with dead elms ? unless everybody is taking the same measures evrywhere surley its inevitable that the elms will all go !:thumbdown:

not always !! i think alot of what we do trying to prevent dutch elm doesnt make much sense somtimes we bleach the saw bars after cutting off infected branches yet 3 miles up the rd in the next area the councils dont give a crap and the streets are lined with dead elms ? unless everybody is taking the same measures evrywhere surley its inevitable that the elms will all go !:thumbdown:

i think half the problem stems from when my dad was a tree surgeon.

he tells me that they were surposed to burn on site but never did.

ive got a load of dead elms coming up and the customer wants to try and flog the timber ???

i wonder what trouble you would get in if i parked up my truck with a load of infected timber in the middle of brighton and infected all the street trees?

It doesn't work like that. The beetles infect the trees, then they infect each other through the ground. Putting infected wood near some un affected trees for a while won't be a problem.

Not burning the chip wont be a problem.

Wearing spikes from one tree to the next?? I don't know about that but I doubt it!

He didn't wear spikes cos he didn't need them. YOu only need spikes for chogging stems, nothing else. Seeing as he boshed the limbs off at the trunk he had no need for spikes.

Was nice to see DED high lighted but i found the commentry misleading, they made it sound as if this year was its first outing since the 70s. DED strikes bad EVERY year in brighton, it is slowly removing the elm population year on year. I actually think this year has been slightly better than the last couple from what i've seen.

In terms of TV they could have filmed a much better takedown theres a bigg'un near the pavilion thats going to need to come out, would make a better video. :sneaky2::001_cool:

It doesn't work like that. The beetles infect the trees, then they infect each other through the ground. Putting infected wood near some un affected trees for a while won't be a problem.

Not burning the chip wont be a problem.

Wearing spikes from one tree to the next?? I don't know about that but I doubt it!

He didn't wear spikes cos he didn't need them. YOu only need spikes for chogging stems, nothing else. Seeing as he boshed the limbs off at the trunk he had no need for spikes.

but if the beetles still in the wood being bought in then i guess that wont help ??

The beetles are really very mobile already as they fly. Infact, the point was made during the program about those "taller" stature specimens getting infected first as they are in the flight path more directly....

I would think that the spikes could well spread infection but why would you use spikes unless removing a tree? And if you are removing, this cos it;s infected but anyway...doesn't much matter eh!

Last point...I seem to recall that it was said the timber was to be temporarily stored until sufficient volume was amassed for a burn.....

OK...last point. I was surprised to see the stem just dropped onto the tarmacadam, across kerbs and so on...Had a piece shattered away and flung itself across the road, who knows?