crown reductions on beech with merrip, whats peoples thoughts

John Shutler

ive sent a quote for reduction/removal, also extracts from "fungal stratagies of wood decay in trees" "diagnosis of ill health in trees" and "principles of tree hazard assesment and management"

also sent a cover letter explaing the 2 options and associated management

tis out of my hands

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite often come across trees with meripilus...mainly mature beech. They are most on wildlife reserves, and if they are away from paths/car parks/roads etc. I've just left them. One has been quite happy for the last 10 years!. Another, however, is in a private school, next to the playground and adjacent to the school dining room!!!....I recommended removing it about 12 years ago, the school governers said they could not afford it and the tree still stands...so far.

Just cos I like stirring it all up again John....what was your professional recommendation out of interest? (ie, your preferred course of action)

Tim

edit: cheers for posting Arbogrunt....your post highlights why we get so excited and at times, so at odds with each over these issues. There are no black and white answers whilst at the same time, there's science a plenty to which we can refer and defer even.....I guess Im just sucker for an argument about who knows best where trees are concerned. Not sorry about that!

Edited by Bundle 2

Who wants to look at a beech tree that has been reduced? Why not just remove now and replace with a nice young vigorous specimen? Waste of time and resources that could be better focused elsewhereQUOTE]

A staged retrenchment with final end result not discimilar to a pollard, mmm ugly?

There are those at burnham beeches, Blenhiem etc that might argue with you:sneaky2:

Its humans that need sorting Tony, nature gets on with it and accepts whatever comes along. Humans blame everybody and everything and go see solicitors

In the right place such as in Daves past examples and with a good management plan no worries mate, but to me there's always the climber to consider if one has to come down eventually, or should I say rigged down, why delay, get the thing down and dont leave it till its weakened

I had to do one this year, they had left it till it was totally dead, I warned them it needed to come down 2 years previous.

Take em down earlier and plant multiple replacement trees is what I say, then there's more eco, habitat thingemibobs for the future

That my friend is EXACTLY the mentality that is cooking our ecoligical goose, old growth is VITAL. Wanna live in a world of young trees? go to sweden:001_tt2:

If I ended up the human equivalent of a Beech with Merip, I would be most grateful if someone would be kind enough to shoot me, rather than cutting my arms and legs off.

I will bear that in mind next time you lose the control of your foundations when bladdered at the next show! lmao:lol:

ignoring all the logical discussion on risk factors/targets etc

Is reducing a tree with Merip viable as a risk reduction measure?? We all know heavy reductions on Beech not only effect the canopy but also what goes on underground with the roots, so by reducing the sail area are we also reducing the stability by the effects of heavy reduction on the roots, and as Merip effects the roots of Beech will reducing actually reduce the chance of failure at all?

I'd say a reduction could only be carried out after investigation of the root plate by airspade and possibly resistograph to discover the true extent of the decay unless a better history of the tree is already known, but i'm only a humble climber and by no means an expert in this field.

Basically we all know about Targets and Risks, but what about best management to carry out if the targets/risks are low? Is it better to leave alone dare we cause more problems to the root zone and stress the tree lowering its ability to naturally defend itself.

Or am i making no sense what so ever?

You are right, there is always many things to consider in all cases, like I said, each ones unique.

I cut a Beech in half today.

It had Merip, its now of a size that if it does fail it will miss the house and power line, but chances are it now won't fail due to reduced wind sail.

Safety comes first in my book.

Safety yes indeed, but refining the science of safety in tree managment principals is the name of the game, and if you refuse to budge and stick by your old skool gun, thats fine, you keep felling.:001_rolleyes:

now wheres that airspade.

Just cos I like stirring it all up again John....what was your professional recommendation out of interest? (ie, your preferred course of action)

Tim

edit: cheers for posting Arbogrunt....your post highlights why we get so excited and at times, so at odds with each over these issues. There are no black and white answers whilst at the same time, there's science a plenty to which we can refer and defer even.....I guess Im just sucker for an argument about who knows best where trees are concerned. Not sorry about that!

what argument? I KNOW BEST, so no arguments!:lol:

That my friend is EXACTLY the mentality that is cooking our ecoligical goose, old growth is VITAL. Wanna live in a world of young trees? go to sweden:001_tt2:

You seem to always think the worst of people Antione :001_smile:

No, but I would like to live in a world full of healthy mature trees in public areas with a vast array of new young trees to take over should any become diseased

For every mature tree taken down we should be planting multiple replacements not just one, otherwise maths say we will eventually become tree-less.

Decaying trees belong in a woodlands!

Old pollards are a wonder yes, but they were cut years ago for good reason, firewood production.

Reduce a decaying tree in an urban environment to retain it for a few more years; why?

Tree inspections are essential to protect mature trees, but let's use the information and findings with conviction! :confused1:

Yes, old pollards were cut for production.

Now, they provide an invaluable haven for a wealth of biodiversity that feeds in to a crucial chain of life.

We are part of that chain. Particularly in the psychological sense.

Sterile man made environments, are not atractive to the needs of the environment and our own well being.

I find it dissapointing that a large proportion of the very people who have a direct link to the proud history & legacy of working around Trees, seem detached from the understanding of what that relationship has meant to our ongoing interaction with sustainability within our own environment.

History is sadly littered with whole cultures that didn't respect their responsibilities to fitting in to the "big picture" around them.

Ask yourself this question........Where do you find yourself most relaxed?

Amongst the hustle & bustle of the Human "race" (cars, buildings, greed & disconection from real emotion)

or taking in the beauty, majesty & aesthetically pleasing form of a fine old Tree or woodland