How long????

Tree cutter Stu

The main thing was that I just don't feel right unless I am up a tree. There is something about being high in a canopy that must be similar to what a sailor feels on the ocean. The addictive feeling of movement and connection, just a sea of green instead of a sea of blue.

Dave

Ditto that, Dave!! Love being aloft in a stiff breeze!

I reckon I'll be climbing till I'm way past 70.....though prolly a little slower....

The pic ain't me, but hey, ya'll get the idea?!

59765353bf743_Ferguson20Walnut24w.jpg.b45957eae1a4f132be39b11e2ca09aca.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a year self employed after I left school on a Local Estate, skidding out and planting, went to college for 2 years ( HND Game and Wildlife Management) then did 9 months felling Birch on the books for a guy who builds racecourse fences, then went on my own contracting, bought the little carraro and the county, started firewooding a bit more and then sold most of my gear and packed in late last year and now work in the wood department on another local estate.

at a bit of a crossroads now - either go and start training to climb, go driving forwarders or go back Felling sefl employed.

That's just short of 8 years :scared: it don't feel like it though !

Bob, I dont doubt that for one minute.

But what do you compare it against ?

the fact that ive jumped ship once myself and found out the hard way and the fact that i know a lot of people with up to 20yrs experience that have had to finish still like the smell of an arborists transit cab. this job attracts a certain type of person were all special in some sought of way and the climbing and the adrenalin is addictive ive found and you dont get it from delivering veg, working on a computer or planting bulbs.

Saw an ad in the local rag early '93

'Tree Surgeon Requires Assistant'.....

The rest is history. It just gets under your skin.

Office job for a year before that - hated every second.

Year in a woodyard before that - liked that.

Farm work before that - liked that too.

Last five years on my own, couple of good lads and a subbie.

Can't see myself doing anything else, you never stop learning in this game, every days a fresh challenge.

Keeps me motivated.:)

been in the industry for 8 years self employed for 4 years...........not loving it every day :proud: like today have arranged a shutdown for a job phone client with a date tell them power will be off so we can do work......then complains that they wont have power!!!!!! not my fault you let the leylandi grow through the wires for the last 10 years, some people. good job i put some pita tax on the job kinda sooths the iratation,

Just coming to the end of two years of college and then start in the bussiness for real.

Sorry Andy but a bit pessimistic to say what are us new students going to do this year..my cups half full mate. Might see whats happening in Europe.

Started in 82 as a labourer for a holiday job for Uncle Dave. In 99 my last duty as Managing Director was to shut the business down as we lost the big earner to a national - that squirts! Went to work for GM, so still around trees and tree people!