How long????

Tree cutter Stu

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm, I fingered it out, big fella......

pbase, if I recall correctly, does create problems....

I've scads of photos that I have to go through...to edit, resize, etc....and work on text, as I'm finally getting a website going.....shoulda dun dat years ago...

I know , Stevie Wonda :wave:

but that's what I did on those last two google vids.....dang it......and they didn't work....maybe a rogue wave off shore of Dover intercepted tha signal:alberteinstein:

umm, now that clustaflocked post dissypeered.....

mebbe I wuz tryin' to edit it.....hmmmm

well, booyahbull, here's the danged link. Hah, go figger, that embedded:

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8100479459256143745&hl=en[/ame]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3385819065028399343&q=source:008418982900706625495&hl=en

Speaking of embedding.....that would be cool if Marisa Miller was game.....

'nother try embedding the vid of Ian dropping a substantial fir top, all 57 feet of it...a bit tooooo close to the cedar stick, that I'd brushed out, waitin' for the crane, 'specially since the house was just on the other side.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2671708962784596849&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2671708962784596849&q=source:008418982900706625495&hl=en

I have tried several times to find other employment realizing that one can't climb trees forever. I just can't do it. Everything else bores me to tears. So climbing forever is my only option. :crazy:

Dave

Hello Dave,

Am interested in what other careers you had contemplated. Were they related ones or completely different.

For the sake of Arb Talk, we're pleased you stayed up in the trees :wave:

I started tinkering with saws when i was 12 or 13, in about 1980. Used to cut logs for my dad with his old homelite.

After leaving school, went working on farms where i always had an interest in any tree work, especially in the early 1990`s when i worked and lived on an estate with 2000 acres of managed woodland, where a few of us spent 5 months of the year thinning!

Finally left farming in 2001 and set up on my own from scratch. Got my climbing ticket in 2003 when i was 35!

So i guess ive two answers on time served- over 25 years tinkering, but nearly 7 years full time.

Brought up on familys sawmill in north yorkshire left school and decided to give tree work a miss and went to catering college at harrogate, thrown out of college in second year for a liking of the amber nector, moved back home and worked for my father then moved out of trees again in to the heavy plant driving for a local quarry, then back to tree work anf fencing for a contractor, then moved to a large utility vegetation company for 10 years and still doing the same but with another veg company in the lakes working for united utilities. Still do the occasional climbing and fencing works etc but spend most of the time surveying and permissioning works on powerlines etc, hope to start a recreational tree climbing business in the near future but struggling to get finance to start at present so will just have save a some more4370[/ATTACH]

59765353b4ad8_breckenbroughschooleasingwold006.jpg.0afc9b65a7597427c2b05f915a3d83be.jpg

Hello Dave,

Am interested in what other careers you had contemplated. Were they related ones or completely different.

For the sake of Arb Talk, we're pleased you stayed up in the trees :wave:

We moved to Montana in 1984 and at that time I had already been a climber for over 15 years. Working in Northern California I had the priviledge of climbing some of the most magnificent trees on Earth. With the move to Montana I thought perhaps this was the time to look into other less physically demanding careers.

Some of the things I tried were taxodermy (which is real big up here), custom bow making (as in archery), construction and ranch work. Also I had a connection for briar wood from the island of Corsica and spent awhile making custom pipes. Of all of those, ranch work was most to my liking but pay was so low that I couldn't support myself, let alone a family.

The main thing was that I just don't feel right unless I am up a tree. There is something about being high in a canopy that must be similar to what a sailor feels on the ocean. The addictive feeling of movement and connection, just a sea of green instead of a sea of blue.

Dave