Willow fell

RobRainford

If you had made the gob a little more open, it may have held with it just above the floor, making it easy to ring up without hitting the dirt with your saw or having to cut part way then roll the butt. You could have just put some of the larger limb timber as bearers for it to land on, then it would also have been up off the floor.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

willow is very chewy Rob, which is good to know. I think because you are cutting at an angle a couple of feet up it has thrown you out a bit, you were more concerned about the saw cutting and getting out the way than watching the cut, you have to try and visualise where the bar is in the tree. If i tree has lean on it even if it doeant have much tension on it, i still think a dog tooth is best, the shape of the trunk can make it hard to line up the saw some times. if you had put a standard gob as close to the ground as you could, punched through with the pushing side engine up, with a bar that long you could of lined up the hinge . dont let the trunk shape throw you, you could of worked your way back almost 90% i reckon taking your time to leave the final cut paralel with your hinge. BUT the big tree went thud, you are ok and you have learnt loads, its better going slow with control than quick in the wrong direction:thumbup::thumbup1: