Payment Terms

Highland Forestry

I think it has to be in your T&C attached with your quote rather than the invoice.

Otherwise people could change the payment requirements at invoice.

i see what you mean and i may not have explained what i was getting at that well, basicly it was explained to me by our accountant that if you send a company an invoice and on that invoice it clearly states 15,20 or 30 day terms and they process the invoice and putt it on the system then they in turn have accepted your payment terms - should they not wish to accept your terms then they should refuse to accept the invoice.

i have a company down here who tried to tell me that they were paying 60 days from the end of each month and all invoices must be recieved by the 12 of each month otherwise payment will be delayed by another month - this was in a perchase order given to us on completion of the work , i invoiced with my terms being 20 day from the date of invoice and they payed :thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i see what you mean and i may not have explained what i was getting at that well, basicly it was explained to me by our accountant that if you send a company an invoice and on that invoice it clearly states 15,20 or 30 day terms and they process the invoice and putt it on the system then they in turn have accepted your payment terms - should they not wish to accept your terms then they should refuse to accept the invoice.

i have a company down here who tried to tell me that they were paying 60 days from the end of each month and all invoices must be recieved by the 12 of each month otherwise payment will be delayed by another month - this was in a perchase order given to us on completion of the work , i invoiced with my terms being 20 day from the date of invoice and they payed

Ahh right cheers for clearing that up.:thumbup1:

Actually its deffo worth giving that a try out.:sneaky2::thumbup:

What u guys get paid :001_smile:. Seems to me that some people think we work for free . Cheques in the post and all that ?

i know exactly what you mean - if your car is in for a service when you come to pick it up you are expected to pay for it before driving off (unless you have an account with them) so why do people expect you to carry out work for them and to get 30 days to pay ?? i totally agree its different working for the LA's or large organisations/ companies but i really do not see how you can go and work in someones back garden on domestic rates and they seem to think that you dont want paying at the end of the job

What u guys get paid :001_smile:. Seems to me that some people think we work for free . Cheques in the post and all that ?

I hear you.

Payment on completion or upon receipt of invoice here.

The big boys have more money than me. Spread the love.

If Mrs. Miggins can write a cheque on the day I finish her work, why can't a multi-million pound building empire? Especially when they ring on Friday with five days worth that you have to start on Monday.

Try telling Tescos that your payment terms are 30 days when you fill up with their diesel. As Lorry says, if you know in advance it's not so bad, but you are providing the service, and should be dictating the terms.

If they don't like it, they can get some other idiots in.

I've lost the odd one doing this, but most of them miraculously find the cheque book!

I always invoice on completion, unless prior arrangement (such as one chap who pays when he gets harvest pay) or the odd larger contractor type job (not many) This saves them "forgetting" to send a cheque, if they are out, the invoice states t&c's as "By return, within 14days", I've had no complaints about this, and to date only one dragging their heels to pay, but they got a friendly reminder and the cheque came with a nice apologetic letter.

Incorporated in my new terms and conditions on the reverse of every qoute/estimate/invoice sheet i have this,

for the purpose of these terms and conditions a.n.other is a company under The Companies Act 2006, Definition of a large company is 50 or more employees...

full payment to be received within 14 days of work completion and invoice

We reserve the right to charge large companies (defined in terms and conditions above) 8% over base rate for each late day over agreed time limit..

This rate is set by The late payments of commercial debts (interest) Act 1998,

i have found that its normally enough to make most domestic customers realise that we know the system, and they will sign prior to work comencement to accept said terms,

im sole trader and this is feasible for me to do,:thumbup1: