Mog Facts

Paul Smith

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O Licence legislation is a nightmare! It needs discussing with VOSA on an individual basis but, basically vehicles over 3.5ton gross weight may be required to obtain an operators licence, Especially if the vehicle isn't taxed/classed as Agri. There are many exemption to O licences this web page should be a start

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/generalinfo/frequentlyaskedquestions/operatorlicensingfrequentlyaskedquestions/doineedalorryoperatorlicence.htm

As an Ag tractor, no ops licence required. A previous post was spot on, buy too cheap and you buy dear. Parts can be ludicrously expensive. Remember - it has a three pointed star on the bonnet same as a Maclaren Mercedes. Great fun tho' and priceless performance off road and as a tool to drive things, chippers, flails, toppers, grinders, the only limitation is the depth of your pocket.

Spot on.Best if you need one,rather than want one.If what you do currently requires no more than a typical truck and chipper,then stick with it.If you are thinking about work that is off road,in excetionally tight spots or your chips are staying where you produce them,then a Mog might be for you.

Also be prepared to do alot of maintainance,I take enough tools for a Armoured Brigade with me everyday as there is alot that can go wrong.

For the price of a GOOD mog, I could buy a 4 wheel drive 100hp tractor, a timber trailer, a chipper and a 7.5 tonne chip truck.

I think unimogs are overated. (and yes I have owned one)

My advice would be to buy an ex military 1300L of one of the ex mod suppliers, it will have low hours and will have been pampered. Forget the hassle of Hydraulics, Pto packs etc. and running a PTO chipper, use it as a very neat 4x4 truck with a chip bin. it will tow a chipper like you wont even know its there, and accross any terrain you want.

They tend to be better off road then their heavier Ag cousins aswell.

uni1300.jpg