Hitch climber

Steve Bullman

I did some work in a small ,maple today. Perfect tree for a slow and low climb trying something new. With setup in the pic below it worked pretty good. You have to adapt to the changes that come with it but by and large it seems worth a shot now. I want to get a smaller clip for the prussic cord to clean things up a bit and try to figure a way that the whole thing doesn't get twitsted in the bridge ring...............suggestions???

attachment.php?attachmentid=448&stc=1&d=1189375225

597653082844e_Hitchclimber003resize.JPG.8c0350ac7e0b443dac10aef60699d44b.JPG

597673aa4152b_Hitchclimber003resize.JPG.2fff748ffa478da0954645ca2322c93f.JPG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a small keyring type krab as you can see in my pics.

How are you finding having the prussic so short/close? i left it long enough to maintain a bit of space between the different sides of the rope

No............I like everything as tight as possible. I don't like a lot of play is this.

I am trying to figure out a way to make changing TIP's a little easier!!!

Any ideas???

Where is that pic of your setup???

• 4 weeks later...

i think that best practices/art would be not to leverage/bend the splice like that.

One of the weaknesses/downsides of a splice; is the elongated area of the line that it stiffens. The stiffer something is; the more it resists bending, the more it can be leveraged. Backwards; perhaps that is easier to see. A lever(or wrench) that flexes under load(doesn't totally resist bending) loses leverage. So, the bent fibers on the outside of the splice bend are being leveraged much more than the fibers in a 'normal' section of rope.

Also, i'd think this would invite more internal creep of the splice tail/stuffing.

Icicle and Sailor's Gripping Hitches are much more self tending than Knut/TK. I've come to prefer a type of Sailor Gripping Hitch; that you finish with a Muenter around the 2 bottom rings and pull out the 2 above like a VT. Very self tending; but more persnickety for correct amount of turns and setting just right than a VT. i prefer it in 3/8 flat Tenex.

I got a hitch climber several weeks ago , I dont have a spliced eye on my rope I use a double fisherman for my termination knot and it seems to mess up my climbing hitch which is a knut or vt. I talked to treemagineers and they said that the termination knots could cause a problem has anyone else had this experince David

Yes, I've had the same problem. The hitch can get caught underneath the termination knot when it collapses. Solutions are to use as small a carabiner as possible for the termination knot, use a longer hitch cord to make the friction hitch "taller", and use a stiffer cord that won't collapse as much.

Or get a nice spliced eye.

• 4 months later...