Hitch climber

Steve Bullman

[.

I tried putting a sling with a crab in it near my cambium saver and clipped the tail of the rope through the crab then descended out of the tree. When you go to ascend again. you just haul yourself up with the 3:1 advantage you have set up. Its really fast and might save some energy but just a bit of fun really.

I have on occasion used the same idea for branch walking when you have to drop down through a fork, if there is a suitable branch above the fork you a dropping through you set your sling and gear on that loop the end of your rope through and then drop down and then if you have to climb back up through that fork then you can just pull on the rope and haul yourself back up - you can get fancy and use this as a redirect also - its not something that i use alot but yeah these little tips and tricks are fun to try and you never know one day they might come in handy :thumbup1:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still not totally happy with this thing, when it works its brilliant but i cant get past the problem of the hitch catching the top karibiner/eye of the rope. I have been placing with this for a couple of weeks now and the only solution I can come up with is a karabiner that is at least 150mm long. This would allow the hitch to extend fully under load without reaching the top of the top krab. Only problem is i dont have one. Has anyone seen a 6" long triple lock before preferably oval? been looking on the net but no sucess.

Unless of course you have a totally different solution?

I put my krab through the middle hole and have a longer loop on the bowline so the knot is above the vt by an inch or so and have had no problems but you must put the bowline on the right side so the tail hangs away from your vt.

• 4 weeks later...
alright can someone help? i seen a pic of a h/c with an alloy ring in it to stop the hitch getting caught up in the pully, i cant remember how to do it. does anyone have a pic off this?

If its the picture I'm thinking of, It was a small cambium saver ring, that would be used to stop the termination knot interfering with the hitch. You tie the vt or what ever you want to climb on, then before you feed the crab through the eyes, you put both legs of the hitch through the small ring then connect as normal. The ring should keep the knot away from the hitch.

Hope thats what you were talking about, otherwise I've waffled on for nothing!! haha!!:thumbup1:

Was this what you meant?

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/15902-one-dmm-treemagineers-2.html#post291089

Edited by Tommy_B
Found the picture...

Yeah that's the one cheers

Dave, heed the warning that went along with that picture. For me, the adding of this ring worked very well. For others...not at all. It really depends on how your slack tending and advancement movements are incorporated.

Also remember that even if this does work for you, it is still just a work around like some of the others, not the way this tool was designed to be used.

Dave