what tyres do you recomend?

stigwood

I put pirelli scorpion mud's on my landrover from new. I have now done 46000miles and they are still going, If I push them to the legal limit I'll get another 5-10k out of them. I'll get some new ones for the winter however. they are ok off road and have a nice ride in road.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kumho kl71's for me,superb and alot less than goodrich! I've done 35k on them now and the fronts are about gone,rears are 50%,phenomenal off road,bit noisy on road,and they look the business if you're vain! I got mine from CAMSKILL in cumbria,next day,61 quid each with VAT and delivery

BFG muds. Third set, and have half and half mak1 and mk2s at the mos. Fairly sure one set of mk1s had m+s written on them, havent really taken any notice for ages. They last soo long and are very good off road, not too noisy and fairly polite on road too. The A-t's are also excellent i am led to believe.

personally i would go BFG A/T they out last General grabbers by a long way from my experience, never had the need for mud terrains, last winter had no problems with A/T and was out everyday throughout the bad weather (snow) driving up and down country lanes taking water to live stock.

BGF A/T big thumbs up

I run:-

- 265/75x16 BFG Mud TA KM1 on a Disco 2 - a very good dual purpose tyre (and the last set lasted 100,000 miles), performs quite well on snowy tarmac.

- 285/75x16 Kumho KL71 on a Defender DCPU - not had it long enough to assess them thoroughly but initial opinion is that they are a match for the BFGs as far as traction and handling (too soon to tell re. mileage and it hasn't snowed since I fitted them). The tyres are cheaper than BFGs though.

- 750x16 Michelin XCL on a (modified) Series 1 86" Land-Rover. Of the three these are without doubt the best in snow since they cut straight through to the hard surface (tarmac or permafrost) below.

It is almost impossible to get any flotation on snow in this country, so a narrow tyre that cuts through to the road surface is usually the best bet.

I run 265-75-16 Kumho KL71's on my defender, handled great in the snow and not too bad on the road . a bit noisy though. but it is a mud terrain tyre so what do you expect.

Great in the mud too. only time i have got stuck with them is when i was hauling oak out of a feild in the snow , i slid back down a slope and into a tree so couldnt go up down or steer anywere.

I'm looking for some tyres for my disco myself at the mo. I'm going for BFG mud terrains but I'm not sure what size to go for. Will prob go for R16 alloy's, I've had a 3" lift done, but don't want to trash my half-shafts, what size rubber to invest in, recommendations please?

i have been running brg mt for 3 years on our truck's i have found them to wear very very well , i have changed the tryres once in this time , when replaced i kept with bfg but had the mk2's . im really pleased with the mk 2 and find them far better than the mk 1 off road however i have foun that they are not so good on the road .

if your looking for a hard wearing tyre that is great off road i would go for the bfg But i would fit them all round and not just on the back.

Thanks for the input guys,even yours Mr Armchair :001_tt2:.I`ve run the BFG A/T before & found them to be a very good tyre which lasted well but was looking with something with a bit more grip for this winter I have a spare set of steel rims & intented to keep them just for the winter weather so not over concerned about a bit more noise.They will be fitted to all 4 corners & I`m not looking to increase the size ( the wife says size doesn`t matter :blushing: )From the feed back so far the BFG M/T seems to be edgeing it anybody know the best supplier I`m based in South Bucks HP16, ta :thumbup:

Edited by stigwood
missed a not !