10 tonnes plus wanted

perfect pieces

Have to agree with above - what you have written makes no sense.

If you're asking something put down the detail.. 10 tonnes of what? What is your postcode? What is access to your yard like? Do you have a hiab yourself to pick whatever it is up? etc etc etc

The poster wants 10 tonnes of firewood.

My guess is he may be a domestic customer who wants enough wood to get thru a hard winter, so he may not know the lingo.

My advice to the original poster is as follows.

The firewood men tend to deal in volume rather than weight as wood can be 50% water when fresh cut. So the weight of unseasoned wood can be double what it would be when dried out or seasoned. They also don’t tend to have access to weigh bridges and have diferent sized vehicles, trailers etc.

You may have in mind the quantity you need.

If for example you want it seasoned, then you may have in mind a quantity of about 10 cubic metres (which wont weigh ten ton, perhaps half this weight).

If you want it unseasoned, then ten cubic metres of hardwood may come somewhere near to ten tonnes

So you need to think of whether it is seasoned or unseasoned that you require and then try to give an idea of the amount you need by volume.

As a very rough guide, ten builders bags of the type that builders yards deliver sand in are roughly a cubic metre (or a bit less) so you may require a quantity of wood, roughly equivalent to 20 builder bags seasoned or 10 builder bags unseasoned to get 10 tonnes.

The subject can be quite complex but I hope this will help you to specify more accurately what you need. Please feel free to ask more questions for clarification as I usually make mistakes in my maths and am not a firewood dealer but you get the idea.

You will also need to specify whether you want your wood cut and split and ready to go or whether you intend to process it yourself from uncut lengths.

As I say, it can get quite complex, hence all the previous requests for a bit more info.

Another afterthought...

Wood, air dried outside undercover, in this country achieves around 20% moisture content (I believe there is some consensus here on arbtalk about this figure) so the maths in the above examples may have to be adjusted accordingly.

I'm sure someone's phoned you up and sold you some wood by now anyway:001_smile:

Also on these quantities it may be worth investing in a moisture meter - about 20 quid from amazon.

Then there is price...........lets save that one for the experts:sneaky2:

Edited by Albedo
typo

Perfect pieces

Blackburn is just down the road for me and I can supply 10 tonnes but it does help to know what you need supplying and at what rate you are expecting to pay. As an example my product range for 10 tonnes would include kindling, briquettes, wood pellets, wood chip, joiners logs, joiners noggins, and of course split logs.