Second generation, climbers and cutters.

skyhuck

I've pickup from various posts by different members that their fathers are in the trade, some running their own firms.

Yet they do not work with or for their fathers.

I am interested in the reasons for this?

And would also be interested in the experiences, good and bad, of any who do work within a family firm.

I am very well aware of the difficulty's of working with family, I worked with my farther in retail and repair for 6 years.

My eldest son is 14 and wants to get into Arb, my plan is for him to get trained up, then fun his own team under the umbrella of my existing business.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I look back now i would have absolutely loved for my father to have been in Arb or forestry. I wouldve relished the oppurtunity to work alongside him, learning the trade. Alas, my dads a driving instructor. Haha

would be interesing to hear some stories of second generation arbs who DONT work with their fathers and the reasons. Haha

the only experience i have of this situation is my boss and his son. his son doesn't seem interested, turns up hour late most days, bad attitude, but he is kept on as he is always there at the bosses house to run around for him doing little crap jobs and errands.

:sneaky2:

the only experience i have of this situation is my boss and his son. his son doesn't seem interested, turns up hour late most days, bad attitude, but he is kept on as he is always there at the bosses house to run around for him doing little crap jobs and errands.

:sneaky2:

This is because the father lets his son get away with it, the family relationship needs to left at home and every member of staff treated with the same rules and dicipline IMO :001_smile:

This is because the father lets his son get away with it, the family relationship needs to left at home and every member of staff treated with the same rules and dicipline IMO :001_smile:

Was boyband treated with the same rules and dicipline when he came to work for you?

Yes ten years,I enjoyed it very much but he moved away and sold every thing... at one point we did have intentions of setting up another team like you are planning but to be honest i could run the main gang and it always worked better me him and a groundy or two ,I would lead the main gang whilst he priced up or stump ground ....employing other climbers who never could work to what we felt are standard or speed never worked we felt it best just to keep it small ,we would be booked 6 months ahead and charge well but I think a run being broken in to and work stress he just sold up and went to northumberland, no more council contracts to strees him out and no thieving ****** cleaning you out in broad day light whilst your doughter and wife and kids are 30 ft away from the containers and yard.

working with him next week though in a church in the nation park in northumberland ,I would be tempted stilll to work with him full time if it all went tits up or i could perswade my misses to move to his farm and convert an out building.

In my situation I had to work twice as hard and push my climbing to the limits to show and prove to the others this was not the case , my dad never showed me any favours .... well untill i got glandular fever about 7 years in to my career and i was left pretty mangled for a year and did need time out.

I would be 5 mins late every day though!!!! but thats been the case who ever i have worked for but I know i can more than make up for it when we get stuck in,and never would be on important jobs!