maintaining the side plate angle

orang-utan

When you file you should keep pressure with "pointing finger" (index finger?) and by this you control the direction of the cut with the file.

You should keep the pressure back in the tooth, not down.

If you do this you can file down, back even up in the tooth.

Your file is working too low!

It needs to be placed higher!

Hi there

I run an oregon bp22 micro chisel chain on a 15in bar on an ms260 chain saw. Unfortunately, on occasion I have hit something other than wood and damage has occured to the working corner and side plate.

After having attempted to sharpen the cutters using a 4.8mm round file in a 3/16 (0.325") file holder the side plate has got worse and instead of being 85 degrees it is more like 90 or 95 degrees. The top plate angle is fine and I seem to be getting the working corner back to being sharp but the side plate angle remains at a right angle.

Also, I have been holding the file holder 10 degrees pointing upwards and I am getting wear to the drive link which doesn't look right.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

Hi are you going to Saltex or APF show ? if so bring one of your chains with you and well see whats happened to your chain.

Saltex show Windsor Racecourse 7-8-9th Sept [free to get in] and i will be on either FR Jones & Son, Honey Bros or Richmonds stands during the show.

APF 23-24-25th Sept Oregon [blount UK Ltd] have a large demo plot and again the above dealers and others will be there.

If your not going to either then perhaps when convenient we can meet up at a dealers and look at the chain.

One point i'll make is that if you have badly damaged the side plate and top plate you will need to

1, assess damage to chassis and rakers as well as cutters.

2, determine the worst and mark the cutters to be ground back the most

3, decide if you are to grind all cutters even [lots of damage] or replace just a few with new [worth considering if the chain is good]

4, Use a filing clamp to help or better still a filing vise in a vise [chain off]

5, Check your file is good and the guide the correct angle

6, the natural rock of the chain in the guide bar actually gives near a 10deg DROP OF THE FILE HANDLE so dont add another 10deg to it or you will end up filing uphill from the tie strap to the top of the feed angle and you will lose the profile of the working corner and grind the tie strap out nearest the tooth.

7, follow the profile of the tooth and check the chrome layer on the feed angle and side plate after each 3 strokes

8 The old saying goes if you have 8" use it a full stroke of a file should see metal coming off, even pressure with front hand whilst pushed from back hand.If not rotate or change your file.

9,Check the rakers and use a depth guage tool .

10,take off any swarf with file handle

Just a point is the chain our new 22BPX or the old 22BP as the top plate cutting angle is 55deg on BPX and 60deg on BP

Depth guage .025

Side plate angle 85deg

Top plate angle 30deg

File size 4.8mm Oregon double cut file 70503

File Guide 18228 4.8 file size

See OREGON®: Public and see maintenance guide

22BPX chain is micro chisel which has a curved tooth profile and normally gives longer cutting performance in hard woods than its full chisel partner 22LPX, is far better in soft woods in general and some say faster cutting out of the box, full chisel chains dull off quicker than micro chisel in hardwoods.

We also have a multicut triple chrome version of 22LPX called M22LPX for dirty wood cutting and keeping 4-5 times longer life between sharpening.

I hope this helps.

Les

Area Mgr Oregon Cutting Systems Division

As you are using a file guide are you keeping it in contact with the top plate and the depth gauge?

If you don't rock the guide forward onto the depth gauge the profile you see on the top plate will still be correct but the file will not sit down into the gullet as it should and will lead to the side plate angle being opened up as you have experienced and worse case ends up with a back sloping tooth.

If necessary take off the guide and file into the gullet slighty to open it up more then replace the guide and try again but this time with the two contact points.

If you sharpen free hand the file naturally tends to drop further down into the gullet so what you have experienced doesn't happen as much although it can cause other problems.

Hope that makes sense!

• 1 month later...

If the chain cutters have been damaged, best thing is to put it on a grinder to put it back in good fettle and then use a file again to sharpen once it loses its edge after use.

You can file a damaged chain but it is pretty hard work and difficult to get everything even

Spud