Scars

Jason James Gairn

Yeah the new forces torniquet is good, also the clotting powder if you can get hold of it. We only used to get it when you arrived in Iraq or Afghan.

As a trained battlefield medic it makes me wonder sometimes why we only carry your average first aid kit in the land rovers. A plaster and a small bandage isn't much good on a chainsaw wound!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly right! there have been posts on here before about first aid kits, Obviously the army issue stuff isn't readily avliable but never the less its possible to have a better kit than the bog standard hse approved kit for the office.

As for scars mine isn't clear enough for a pic two years on but, its in my right eyebrow and |I see it every morning in the mirror, its a good reminder!

We pack our kits with the stuff that can save lives first, i.e. large wound dressing Tampax and sanitary products, followed by the luxury items like plasters and eye wash. (for us who forget to blink when staring up at pole saws). We were not taught to use torniquets, but to use pressure points to stem hemorrhage. We have had some really good first aid training from an ex SBS medic called Lenny. Really practical stuff if anyone is in need of a first aid course, I can send him in your direction. He does hostile environment training for news crews in Afghanistan and alike. top bloke.

Yeah the new forces torniquet is good, also the clotting powder if you can get hold of it. We only used to get it when you arrived in Iraq or Afghan.

As a trained battlefield medic it makes me wonder sometimes why we only carry your average first aid kit in the land rovers. A plaster and a small bandage isn't much good on a chainsaw wound!

Try these

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3505

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4036

They are a top company to deal with & carry a large amount of first aid equipment.

Martin

Only done 2 years at this but I count myself lucky to not have caused myself or groundie any damage yet. (small nick from secaturs (2 butterfly stitches))

I do carry the glue and butterfly stitches but they are only good for silky scratches. Building one for a chainsaw hit would be like trying to roll a 50 skin doobie... The guy would probably be dead by the time I finished.

Perhaps I am working too slow :-)

I tried to clean my teeth with my 020.

Gruelling week, had a late finish on friday, didn't get back to the yard 'til 10, back in on saturday, had something like 13 lime trees to reduce that day. To make it worse some roofers had just finished an extension under the trees we were working on and at about 2 in the afternoon they started whinging about the bits of frith that were hitting the roof. Well, in my tired, frustrated state I got myself in a stupid position cut straight through from the back on a branch which bit I believe and jammed itself in my cheek.

Luckily I missed every nerve, my eye and any major arteries. I had 30 something stitches on the outside and the consultant lost count at eighty on the inside.

Lessons learnt? Don't work for a company thats push push push, don't push yourself when you know you've done too much, and if in doubt use your silky!

The pics are taken the day after, 1 week & 2 weeks. That was 3 1/2 years ago, just got a fine line across my face now.

The funny thing was that I did it the day before halloween. Oh how I scared the trick or treaters!

DamionFace3.jpg.4940520769bc55b89cae70e7d63522a6.jpg

DamionFace2.jpg.7769c8f7463b8b0c771d75486286a853.jpg

DamionFace.jpg.d4fe94a20d520f845e33316c4f84a11a.jpg

Blinking heck! Seems stupid to say you were lucky as you plainly weren't. But good job the saw missed all those bits. Good appraisal of the reasons why too. As climbers of all abilities we have to reject any pressures to speed the work up. Go at your own pace. Speed will come with experience. I am guilty of going hell for leather too at times.

Yep I consider my self lucky, could've been so much worse. Well I'm still walking and talking for one (mind you others may say otherwise) and yes, my wife thinks I'm better looking for it!

That's one thing I bet most of us don't consider. The phone call from A&E trying to calm her down and convince her everything was alright was the worst aspect of the whole incident. Thinking back to that even now hurts more than the gaping hole in my cheek ever did.

Sleep tight everybody.