Rate My Hinge.

Frank

As soon as the gob was cut we realised it was rotten so put the winch tractor on it. Goes to show that all is not what it seems, the tree looked perfectly healthy and was only removed because it was in the footprint of a build. We have had similar situations with some roadside Beech, they were leaning the wrong way so the winch was already on them, as soon as the saw touched them a hole appeared, the cable went tight and I just had to keep winching. Another case of what looked like a healthy tree, these were only being pulled back into the woodland for roadside clearance. Be prepared :)

Bob

s.o.p

more info / pics

dont like the look of the side splinters

No more pictures, but what you see is what you get. It has been pulled up a hill so that's why it appears completely level.

Perhaps a combination of errors. Scarf/notch too small, holding wood too large, overeager tractor operator, just one of those things.

Operator was completely clear.

Personally, I love the straight lines in the picture, I find it very pleasing to the eye. 10/10 for the geometry.

As soon as the gob was cut we realised it was rotten so put the winch tractor on it. Goes to show that all is not what it seems, the tree looked perfectly healthy and was only removed because it was in the footprint of a build. We have had similar situations with some roadside Beech, they were leaning the wrong way so the winch was already on them, as soon as the saw touched them a hole appeared, the cable went tight and I just had to keep winching. Another case of what looked like a healthy tree, these were only being pulled back into the woodland for roadside clearance. Be prepared :)

Bob

:confused1:But in the picture there is no hinge, its just cut clean through:confused1:

:confused1:But in the picture there is no hinge, its just cut clean through:confused1:

I think the hinge runs across the top left to right side at an angle mate, what looks like a cut through hinge maybe as Pete has already said a good amount of holding wood removed from removing the buttress roots..