Nicked website address

treesnakey

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be going mental.

But, go in nice and calm and email them letting them know that they will be hearing from you solicitor next week if the site is not taken down or directed to your real site.

They are probably earning advertising revenue of that site.

Let us know how you get on.

Going legal on Yell isn’t going to be easy.

What they have done is immoral but not illegal. There is a lot of stuff that goes on, on the net.

I know of one company that included the names of competitors in a metta tag to draw traffic. Not illegal but morally dubious.

its odd, thanks for liking the site

Hello mate, Sorry for the de-rail, but I was having a look on your website, (very nice by the way) Are the trees on the Rotator screen on the main page just round the corner from the Emirates Stadium? Them and the building look really familiar!!

Cheers Tom

I think you will find it is the equivalent to Yellow Pages for the internet. A con like this was muted several years ago similar to the international directory cons which used to eminate from Switzerland but using internet addresses.The directory would be printed and then you would have to pay for the listing. In the past the model could not be made to work for the internet due to the cost of the names but obviously Yell must have a cheap name bulk purchase rate.

Your complaint against Yell will be upheld if:

(1) the manner in which the domain name(s) is/are identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the Complainant has rights; and

(2) why the Respondent (domain-name holder) should be considered as having no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name(s) that is/are the subject of the complaint; and

(3) why the domain name(s) should be considered as having been registered and being used in bad faith

See ICANN | Rules for Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy

It will be very interesting to see how Yell would defend this. If they wont budge I would take it up with ICANN and also the national papers who I am sure would be very interested in such a dubious practice.

Lots of good advice on the thread. It's good that you caught it only 6 days after it was registered.

Serious question: Are you sure that you don't have a contract with them to provide online advertising? This looks like part of such a contract.

The reason for the domain is probably because "hyperlocal" is all the internet rage and they are trying to target "tree care se18" on Google. They may ostensibly be doing it as part of your yell.com listing. A domain like that will have cost a couple of pounds if that, so they must expect some return.

You could get them for Trademark violation unless there's something in an agreement you may have with yell.

The way to tackle it is an email, as you are planning, to yell.

If you need to complain, the regulator for .co.uk is Nominet (Nominet) not ICANN. I can't imagine that you would have any problems winning. Their complaints page is here:

Nominet - Disputes/Legal

The contact email and tel for the Dispute Resolution Team are:

Telephone: 01865 332211

Email: [email protected]

Rgds

Ferdinand

Hello mate, Sorry for the de-rail, but I was having a look on your website, (very nice by the way) Are the trees on the Rotator screen on the main page just round the corner from the Emirates Stadium? Them and the building look really familiar!!

Cheers Tom

Not sure about that Tommy, but I remember they were in west london.