Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we both get the chance to be amused by your statement. On the one hand you get to find your own jokes funny whilst I get to observe a hilariously poor attempt to raise your own social standing by displacing your authority issues. Everybody wins.

Those authority issues are mine...you get your own mate!

( wot no smiley? )

how do we feel about this?

I enjoyed that, I think any one who really knows the bible would struggle to find fault with the points made by Dawkins.

The thing that really struck me, was why the Christian thought that the fear of retribution or desire for heavenly reward was so much better than some evolved response :confused1:

Thanks mate, I appreciate it just putting forward an alternate take on stuff :biggrin:

Good post Skyhuck mate, it highlights the use of logic which I was trying to get accross in earlier posts :thumbup:

@ Timber - I'm not saying you are wrong or that your belief is not noble which it is, more that Christianity has a tendency as shown with History to corrupt its belief structure when its applicable for those higher up in the Hierarchy of the Church.

However I'm glad you're seeing other points of view in this thread which is what the aim is and why were all enjoying a good discussion because we all might learn a bit about each other and some information from each other too. :thumbup1:

Couldn't agree more. Much as I might be a "God-fearing man", Christians seriously do my head in, especially the guitar bashing, sandal wearing, flowery skirt sporting buff-heads that you get in many legalistic churches! Church hierarchy is due a very overdue pruning exercise too. But hey, I'm damaged goods recovering from funnily enough a Bible-bashing abusive mother who would turn anyone away from God. God didn't turn me away though. I feel very much like Mick Dundee in Crocodile Dundee when Linda asks him in mild surprise - "you believe in God?!" to which he replies in that voice - "yeah me and Him have been mates for a while".

how do we feel about this?

The most telling part of this video is the reaction to Dawkins logical arguments by the female (clearly religious) newsreader in the last few seconds of the video. Hmmm, interesting response to an educated debate.

I liked the guy interviewing Dawkins very much, most of his questions were very well put across and apart from the Hitler/Stalin argument perfectly reasonable questions.

Not gonna get involved with personal religious views but I do firmly believe one thing. There is not point arguing with the stupid.

Also can anyone tell me why it is always assumed by the interviewer that evolutionary theory is wrong in these interviews? Seeming as news reporters are supposed to be unbiased on there commentary should they not be vetted and fired because of their personal religious views................bit of a leading question really but I would like to know the answer. They should employ Dawkins to interview the pope in the name of unbiased reporting.

Also can anyone tell me why it is always assumed by the interviewer that evolutionary theory is wrong in these interviews? Seeming as news reporters are supposed to be unbiased on there commentary should they not be vetted and fired because of their personal religious views................bit of a leading question really but I would like to know the answer. They should employ Dawkins to interview the pope in the name of unbiased reporting.

The interview was being done by a Christian program I think, being called "Sunday", so they are bound to be more than a little biased:sneaky2:

The most telling part of this video is the reaction to Dawkins logical arguments by the female (clearly religious) newsreader in the last few seconds of the video. Hmmm, interesting response to an educated debate.

Yes I noted her desire to use violence too deal with Dawkins, instead of reasoned debate, but then thats gods preferred method of dealing with the none compliant so why should she be any different :001_smile:

• 1 year later...
do you care to expand - where did christianity come from? If you can include your sources in your reply that would be helpful.

Without wanting to restart the discussion, for those who are really and truly interested in where Judeo-Christianity and its associated monotheism came from, see :

- J.M. Allegro (1970/2009). The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross. Gnostic Media.

- J.R. Irvin (2008). The Holy Mushroom. Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity. Gnostic Media.

- J.R. Irvin & A. Rutajit (2009). Astrotheology & Shamanism. Christianity's Pagan Roots. Gnostic Media.

- J.A. Rush (2008). Failed God. Fractured Myth in a Fragile World. Frog Books.

- J.A. Rush (2011). The Mushroom in Christian Art. The Identity of Jesus in the Development of Christianity. North Atlantic Books.

And the following websites and footage :

- The Pharmacratic Inquisition video.

- Clinical Anthropology.

- Astrotheology & Shamanism : a review.

[ame=http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1OD2848xg]Interview John Allegro[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOu9tV6uy2E]Interview John Allegro by Van Kooten & De Bie (1976)[/ame]

Edited by Fungus

I believe that God is real because I have a relationship with him through His son Jesus. However, this is very hard to understand if you do not believe it in the first place.

You ask for proof for creation by God, it is all around us. When I look at Creation it shows me that there must be a grand designer. This is of course a basic argument and if u seek more in depth apologetics such as the fine tuning argument then I recomend that you read John Lennox book (Gods Undertaker-has science buried God)

Furthermore i would like to ask your opinion on the fossil below.

[ATTACH]42789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]42790[/ATTACH]

Obviously, This fossil could not have been formed according to the current view of fossil formation as there is no chance that it could have "naturally died, sunk to the sea bead, rotted, and then slowly been fossilized-and had its prey in its mouth all along"

I believe this fossil was formed when both fish were suddenly buried in a sediment grave of enormous dimensions, then they were cemented into that grave by immense pressure of rising sea water.

To me this fossil is evidence of the Genesis flood.

i believe that this fossil is proof for the Genesis flood and therefore the validity of the Bible.

ha, fish regularly die from consuming prey in this way, see fred bullers book of mammoth pike for a MODERN example