stihl 020/ms200t

Martyn Amos

200 comes with fancy wee plastic pop-up flaps for opening up the fuel tank and oil tank without using a tool. Specially designed to break off the first time you dunt the saw whike hauling it up a tree or twisting the flap when the cap is on a bit tight. A stupid and unnecessary backward step by Stihl. The 020 has big chunky caps with a slot in that you can open with the tip of a Silky. There's nothing there to break. I wouldn't swop my old 020 for a new 200, it just seems better made and mre reliable and keeps going and going (touch wood).

We need to start calling the Stihl caps "marmite caps" as you either love them or hate them.

I love them and would replace my 66 with a new one tomorrow if they became available with the new caps.

I have had a new ms200 every year for the last 5 years and several before that and have never had a cap break.

had a couple of oil caps break!!! some of the real early 020's had the air filter cover that did not have a flush release system so they would always be loosing there air filters... the old 020 tank breather was never perfect either and on the mid ms200ts a compleate nightmare... i do like the new style tank breather but the carbs seem to not last long,have gone through two on the lastest version but i have been told this has been sorted though?...there replacment carbs seem to be holding out well on the saws i have had to change them on.

I think they are great!! the problem with the oil tank screw caps on the 020s , if you didnt do them up tight they would vibrate loose so you had to use a comi spanner....this always seem to wear holes in the cap and made it leak oil so you would go through a few caps a year and would be handy to have one on stand by, I had far more vibrate loose and cover me in oil than some of my special needs groundys who cant do up the quick lock caps properly and sending the saw up.... at least if thats the case the saw is empty usually by the time it gets to you any how!instead of it vibrating loose and covering your legs in chain oil or petrol for that matter!

200 comes with fancy wee plastic pop-up flaps for opening up the fuel tank and oil tank without using a tool. Specially designed to break off the first time you dunt the saw whike hauling it up a tree or twisting the flap when the cap is on a bit tight. A stupid and unnecessary backward step by Stihl. The 020 has big chunky caps with a slot in that you can open with the tip of a Silky. There's nothing there to break. I wouldn't swop my old 020 for a new 200, it just seems better made and mre reliable and keeps going and going (touch wood).

cheers,sound advice will be taken into acount..:thumbup: