Bench Press

Mark Bolam

A bit more useful for arb work is any form of overhead press/jerk. Bench is great fun, but more of a vanity lift really! Doesn't stop me training it though.

Interestingly, I stopped training for almost four months whilst doing more or less full time thinning work. When I came back to the gym afterwards I was stronger in every single lift except bench (only lost 5kg or so on it) without having gained any bodyweight. Back to training again now and strength is up a bit more. Very close to finally getting my bloody bodyweight overhead (which would be 100kg, at 5x1x90kg presently).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorian Yates workout. I have tryed and was pleased with the results, it is intence and should be thrown into 2 week change up plan. never do the same work 2 weeks runing.

Bench

1st set 1 rep max, rest 10 secs, then try todo 1 rep at same weight again, shouldnt be able to complete rep. Reduce weight by 10%, say 100 Kg to 90 Kg and reapeat set. do this until you have reduce the weight by 60-70%.

Your First time doing this will burn, some good rippage with it.

Diet 75% Training 20% Supps 5%Get a decent post and pre workout sorted out. protein and carbs before protein and carbs after to aid recovery. Creatine mono or crea alkaline is a good supp for strenght but watch out for accelerated dehidration while working. But remember its all about diet. 6 days on 1 day cheat. Get on the net and research it all dude, 1 day you might have a body like min. lol

instead of bench press why not try ticep dips, i would give tricep dips a g0 , i can bench 95 kg (5 sets 6 reps ) which is just under my badyweight of 100 kg , however i can dipp just over my bodyweight at arround 120kg (5 sets of six) i personally think its well worth giving them a go , with regards to suplements i would look into something like Maximuscle cyclone - this is a suplement designed for muscle growth and is creatine based - i highly reccomend it

ladder training is also good.

pick up a wieght for lets say pressing. ( i use kettlebells ). the weight should by 50% of your max out weight for around 2 reps. so if you can press 40 k dumbell twice ..use a 20k

now holding the dumbell in press position press it 1,2,3,4,5 = total 15reps ( rest for a second between reps. do this for 5 sets . so a total of 75reps.

they key is that this training does not burn you out unlike the usual crap 3x10 everyone does.

I have worked up to pressing the 28k kettlebell for 100 reps each arms.

you can apply this to chinups and other exercises.

a mix of this and ther 5x5 program is enough to turn you into a beast.

another tip - only do 3 large exercises when you go to the gym..and don't train everyday unless you are doing cardio in days between.

gym sessions should be no more than 90 mins.

"a mix of this and ther 5x5 program is enough to turn you into a beast"

That is an awsome programe to work to. loved it. 5x5 for 5 wks, 3x3 for 3 wks. Always changing exercise. Good advice. Had some good ganes with it. Throw in a random G.V.T. workout in the middle as well to keep the shock going.

if youlike me are training 5-6 days a week with cardio days in betwene weight days then try interval training either on a bike or rower or even a cross trainer ie- row flat out for one min giving it your all then rest for 30 seconds , repeat this for 12-15 mins then alternate to another piece of cardio equipment - bike , rower or cross trainer and repeat the interval training again but thi time for betwene 10-12 mins , finnish this off with a run at a good -fast pace on the treadmill on an incline . Then finnish with some ab work - leg raises , weighted crunches, rusain twists and planks.

that coupled with a good training programe will have you in good shape pretty quickly ,

So who fancies posting a coppy of their traning programe ?

Great input.

Mixed things up last night (mate whose garage we have our gym in is on holiday).

High rep press-ups and dips.

Sore today. But it was a sweet pain........!

glad to hear your geeting some gains mate , maybe try mixing it up with some military press , upright rows , and some skull krushers oh and not forgetting some latteral raises . all of these will aid in benching , and along with some tricep dipps will have you pressing out 10 reps at 100k in no time :thumbup: