timber wolf 18/100

colwoodlandcare

What Charlie said, and the high infeed is a pain in the proverbial.

Moved onto a 125, and it is about 6 times quicker when you take into account less snedding etc. It is twice as much, though.

I would certainly look at the small Greenmechs. I think the drum system is better for a gravity fed machine, and the infeed height is more comfortable.

My 18/100 got through a lot of work for me, mind, and never missed a beat.

In the past I've hired the 18/100 and its hard work with the chute height. BUT its that high for a reason! Google "infeed chute on gravity wood chipper" which will link to an HSE document that explains why the Timberwolf chute is so high.

The 18/100 that I hired wont do anything like 100mm branches without stalling unless you're chipping balsa wood! It also regularly blocked up when doing leylandii!

I've an old Cramer HS 450 which is 18HP/100mm capacity and its far more able that the 18/100 but the chute height is too low so I have to be choosy over who uses it!!!

if you have to have a tow behind i would suggest going for the Timberwolf TW 125ph this is a excellent machine for its size and price. Other wise i would suggest the greenmech cs100 having used both i can truly say they fit the bill perfectly. You need to look at the type of work you will mainly be doing e.g. domestic, narrow access or street tree work.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the older model Entec Trukloder. It's not a bad chipper but if I was to buy again I'd go for a small roller feed type like the Timberwolf 125. At the time I could only afford a cheap machine and wanted it light weight so the Trukloder was ideal.

I've found my Trukloder to be very good with conifer. You really have to work with the machine though and hold what you're feeding it back because it will often clog if you just leave it to it. I tend to let it have chunks like the no-stress on a bigger machine would, but then obviously you have to spend a lot of wasted time doing that. Feeding large timber is tough unless it's got more brashy growth at the end. Don't whatever you do try to control the feed of a straight 4" log because it could easily break your arm by hitting it with the log!

As others have said, sharp blades are a must. Even then if you're chipping something like a Hawthorn or any other tree that has a habit of randomly branching off at right angles you'll curse the thing so much you'll want to give it away! It's great for things like Hazel coppice, Willow pollards and straight trees like Ash and Beech but feed it anything more than slightly angled or bushy and it will play up. I've had days when even a small shrub has put me in such a mood I've wanted to dump it in the river on the way home!

If you think you'll ever need to chip bushy stuff then if you can afford it, get a small roller feed machine. It will pay back the extra outlay in no time!

• 4 years later...

The last couple of sharpens I've had done on mine have been at the local hire place and I just noticed they flat grind. I changed the blades on it for a job last week to some freshly sharpened ones from the local TW dealer and it makes a huge difference when they're hollow ground. I've been struggling to keep up with it now it's all fresh and if anything, it's quicker than a roller feed machine on small stuff! To be honest though I think I'd still buy the Greenmech if you can get the extra money together. It's got the same output roughly and looks easier to use, with the added bonus of being able to get it into gardens. It wouldn't be hard to get a trailer for it to use it as a tow behind.

The old Entec can be picked up for peanuts though. As long as it runs ok and the bearings and fan fins are all present and correct, you can't really go wrong. You'll get your money back in no time and it will get you started. You can always upgrade later if you need to and in my case Trukloders are selling for more now than I paid for mine eight years ago!:thumbup1: