Man fined for drowning squirrel

High Scale

If you look at my picture above you will see a "comb" being used to push the squirrel into a corner and hold it still so it cant move, a good idea :thumbup1:

I dont know why people use live traps if they are going to kill the squirrel, why not just use a tunnel trap which despatches the squirrel for you

Dean, yes had noticed it, I would use the same, but I guess most people would'nt know about it and would end up taking pot shots because the beggar would'nt stop still, I too am a fan of tunnel traps, Fenn Mk4 or Conibear 110's, as you say, job done :thumbup1:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you on that but its a bit late if you kill a non target species in your Mk 4 or conibear... You've got the option of releasing the animal if for instance you happen to get a hedgehog in there. I have a hazel walking stick that i put through the mesh of the trap and pin the animal to the base of the cage before shooting. I have set both Mk 4, 6 fenns and conibears in the past and they are both efficient tools. You just got to be sure about where your setting them.

We despatch around 1500 squirrels a year, mainly with tunnel traps and a few squirrels bashing shoots a year knocking out dreys and we still have trouble keeping them in check

Could do with a huge mutlicatch trap which catches them all at once and then gas em :001_smile:

Something like the rabbit box traps in hedges? That would work...

I am with you on that but its a bit late if you kill a non target species in your Mk 4 or conibear... You've got the option of releasing the animal if for instance you happen to get a hedgehog in there. I have a hazel walking stick that i put through the mesh of the trap and pin the animal to the base of the cage before shooting. I have set both Mk 4, 6 fenns and conibears in the past and they are both efficient tools. You just got to be sure about where your setting them.

I have to say i have never caught a hedgehog in one of my squirrel traps, so I either set them in the right place, and only bait with whole maize, or probably because we have very few hedgehogs around here, the badgers have eaten them all, (but thats another story). Also, I would not set kill traps in areas where the Red is still in existence.

We despatch around 1500 squirrels a year, mainly with tunnel traps and a few squirrels bashing shoots a year knocking out dreys and we still have trouble keeping them in check

Could do with a huge mutlicatch trap which catches them all at once and then gas em :001_smile:

You can get multi catch traps, I have tried them, preferred the single catch tunnel traps meself.

I have to say i have never caught a hedgehog in one of my squirrel traps, so I either set them in the right place, and only bait with whole maize, or probably because we have very few hedgehogs around here, the badgers have eaten them all, (but thats another story). Also, I would not set kill traps in areas where the Red is still in existence.[/QUO

Sorry Jack that wasnt a slight against you, just read it back to myself. Do you know who manufactures the multi catch traps? Thanks

I have to say i have never caught a hedgehog in one of my squirrel traps, so I either set them in the right place, and only bait with whole maize, or probably because we have very few hedgehogs around here, the badgers have eaten them all, (but thats another story). Also, I would not set kill traps in areas where the Red is still in existence.[/QUO

Sorry Jack that wasnt a slight against you, just read it back to myself. Do you know who manufactures the multi catch traps? Thanks

No worries :001_smile:, I did'nt take it as a slight, I still have it kicking about somewhere, if I dig it out I'll let you know.