Beech Trouble???

Stevie Mac

This Beech sits in close proximity to my house with a big old Oak and a rather sorry looking Maple on ether side of it.

Am not sure when this chunk [ I guessing it would have been a second stem?] was removed, but by the look of it it was removed a while ago.

The crown is in good condition with no dead wood [did have a little but I removed it] there is also no sign of die back in the crown.

My question is will this Beech cause me trouble in the future? When it rains the wound pools with water and remains in it for a good while.

We get very strong winds a lot of the time and am just a bit worried that It may eventually get blown over.

Also the Oak next to it has some worrying issues but will take photos and post a thread on that one.

Cheers

Stevie

P1000254.jpg.9ece7ab37dfcacbe652ef80b13470827.jpg

P1000255.jpg.2f9b756d0b97dfb0b007f401bbf7645e.jpg

i would be concerned for basal decay personally, you cant tell how far down the decay goes or how much bark could be included in those unions, if the unions had enough included bark by the time it was removed then it may be less of a concern because the decay was already compartmentalised?

could the wound not be covered of filled with something like expanding foam?

yep its gonna fall over and crush your ping pong table :P

whats the craic chap?

Your right Ging I never thought about the ping pong table getting flattened. You've climbed that tree It would be a shame to fell it.

Our landlords got someone from Cawder Estate to come out and look at them a good while ago and they where told if you felled one of the trees you would need to fell all of them ( the Beech, Oak and Maple).

Am good mate keeping busy with work and the family are keeping me even busier. How you getting on with the work situation?

aye no bad, not had much in the way of work, with out a motor at the moment and got summer shenanigans all booked up so thats restricting what i can look/apply for. But the desk job is seein us through. hows babaa?

Hi, not convinced about any associated basal decay, pooling water will create anaerobic conditions which will preclude fungal infection. Problem is notch stress and lever arm, how high is the canopy above the historic pruning wound? Any saprobes present/ I,d probably reduce, but difficult to say on the available evidence.

Hi, not convinced about any associated basal decay, pooling water will create anaerobic conditions which will preclude fungal infection. Problem is notch stress and lever arm, how high is the canopy above the historic pruning wound? Any saprobes present/ I,d probably reduce, but difficult to say on the available evidence.

Thanks alliaria,

No signs of saprobes or and other fungus. The canopy probably starts about 20-25 feet above the pruning wound, if I reduced the canopy there wouldn't be much of it left. Could remove the lower branches but there's not many of them.

Could you educate me a bit on notch stress and lever arm?

Cheers

Stevie